Why does he do this?

barefootchef

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
N.E. Georgia
First of all, please excuse my ignorance with chickens. I just bought my first pair (Fawn Duckwing Bantams) last Saturday. They are hand tamed and are delightful. When I let them out to free range during the day, they come to the house to find me. Ozzie (rooster, cock, male, what ever the correct term is) comes to the back door, looks in and crows for me. You can see him trying to find me. If I stay out in the yard, the pair (Ozzie and Harriet, also known as the Nelsons here) they stay in the yard. They don't seem to want me too far away. I'd like to keep them off of the patio, but they don't agree. Can someone help me with chicken behavior?

Chickens are chicken, afraid of everything. They will need some time to get used to their new home. Which is not to say they will stay off your patio! Sounds like they are accustomed to coming to humans for treats.

Some people on here have to stop them from following people into the house....

thats cute sounds like they were raised good and they trust people so i would take it as a good thing and they havent gotten use to your yard yet so they look at you as the protector lol
welcome-byc.gif
didnt get to say that before so there it is

Sounds to me like he has bonded to you. I know my chickens feel more secure when I'm around. They tell me all the time. Sometimes even on a nice day they stay in their coop. Then when I come out they all come out. They don't necessarily care about me they just go about their business. Funny thing is they won't let me pick them up but they will keep an eye on me. Course there were only to roos, and I do look like George Clooney. Ok some parts of this post are made up but hey what the heck.

Well, these two I can pick up and when I pick up Ozzie, I can cuddle him and while he is being petted he falls asleep. They really seem to know I don't want them on the patio because when I come to the door, they have the 'oops, sorry' look on their face and Ozzie hops off of the steps...Um, I can tell they aren't stupid.

When I am outside, they roam around and don't go on the patio.

This morning when I let them out, I no more got to the house, looked out the kitchen window and they didn't stroll accidentally to the patio, they RAN! Yes, they ran. I can take them out to a bush and put them down under it and they tend to stay for a bit when I come in. Then, here they come. It really is quite funny, but I'd like them to stay off of the patio...

I think you'd better accept the inevitable. I didn't want them on our deck so trained our Rottweiler to bark and chase them off - she never chases them in the yard, just off the deck, or so I thought...

So just when we thought we had the problem solved, I return from shopping and there's the Rotty fast asleep on the deck...and there's the rooster 3 feet away, also snoozing, and a couple feet beyond that the little flock of hens in that wing-spread foot stretched out pose they take in the sun, very relaxed.

So much for the scary Rottweiler. She wakes up and yawns while the chickens stroll away.

I gave up - just hose it down once a day.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
I hate to say it, but that may be the best advice you'll get on this subject. I've learned to just pretend the chickens are doing exactly what I want them to do. It's not a perfect solution, but it sure makes me feel a whole lot less stressed.
wink.png

Penny

Quote:
I think you are probably right. They just love to come on the patio and Ozzie looks in the screen door (back door is open) and calls looking for me. I swear I don't know how he got attached so quickly. Today marks one week that I have had them!

Back
Top Bottom