Why does my Australorp take 7 hours to lay an egg!?

Do you check under her at 11:30 or 12? She may be broody and just sitting on her egg. Just a thought. The Australorp tend to be broody.

i think i may have a broody she did the same thing yesterday but got off all night and morning
But now its 7:30 at night in Australia and she is still sitting on them! She's an old girl who has never gone broody before so I'm hoping she's broody now! Her sister went broody a few years back and hatched 1 chick and sadly a native predator broke into her brood pen and took them all and her developed chicks inside the eggs!

She's an old girl who has never gone broody before so I'm hoping she's broody now!

How old is old? If she's an older bird laying may be more difficult for her, or she may be more inclined to lounging around (and nests are comfy).

How long as this 7 hr laying been going on? Any other signs of broodiness? Does she stay on nests overnight?

How old is old? If she's an older bird laying may be more difficult for her, or she may be more inclined to lounging around (and nests are comfy).

How long as this 7 hr laying been going on? Any other signs of broodiness? Does she stay on nests overnight?
We dont exactly know how old but her feet look prehistoric. We have a nest attached to our house that some girls like to use, she hopped in their today at around 11 and she only just hopped out to go to the coop now (9 hours later) she laid in there but looks like she isn't broody, Her 7 hour nest box stays only started yesterday!

My Australorp hen gets in the nesting box at around 11 and leaves at around 5-6! Why does she take so long to lay? Thanks
20201204_10372515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom