why does my chick bite?

The WinterWolf

Crowing
Apr 12, 2021
Northern CA
my 3 month old chick bites me every time i pick her up! she lets me hold her, but she squawks like crazy when i do.

(it is a she)

she doesn't show aggressive behavior towards her flock mates.

she was almost a twin ( her beak is split at the tip)

Do you have any pictures of her? :) A trend is that cockerel chicks are typically more bite-y than pullets. I would wonder if it could be a cockerel. This is not a rule by any means, but I believe every nippy chick that I have raised has been a cockerel in my experience :)
This is true. Chicks that turn out to be cockerels usually peck more (in my experience)

Do you have any pictures of her? :) A trend is that cockerel chicks are typically more bite-y than pullets. I would wonder if it could be a cockerel. This is not a rule by any means, but I believe every nippy chick that I have raised has been a cockerel in my experience :)

my 3 month old chick bites me every time i pick her up! she lets me hold her, but she squawks like crazy when i do.

(it is a she)

she doesn't show aggressive behavior towards her flock mates.

she was almost a twin ( her beak is split at the tip)
I think it's just her personality. A fiesty little being :D
Though you can try to give her some treats from your hand, maybe try to pet her, then pick her up. And if she still bites you, then she just doesn't like being picked up and you can avoid it as much as possible ;)

IMG_20210730_102024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom