Why does my chicken have scabs on her wattle?

Aug 3, 2017
Today I saw scabs on my chicken's wattles and I don't know what they came from. She has had tiny little scabs on her comb before, but they were from pecking.

Attachments

• IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 129
In the spring all the scabbed flesh will die and fall off. keep an eye on her to make sure there is no pecking at the frostbite from other chickens, and watch for signs of infection like swelling, pus, or discharge. put some Blu-Kote on it to help healing as well. you caught this early which is good

Although there is no effective treatment for fowl pox, you can vaccinate those birds who do not show symptoms with a fowl pox vaccination for adult birds. This should slow or stop the disease from spreading. To treat and prevent bacterial infections that arise with the virus, for three days you should add 1 tablespoon of powdered Terramycin per gallon to your birds' water. Putting a mix of sulfur power and petroleum jelly (2 teaspoons sulfur per 1 cup petroleum jelly) on the birds' lesions and scabs will soothe the affected areas and keep the parasites away.

Back
Top Bottom