why does my dog love to roll in crap

KingsCalls

Songster
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
New Market,Tn.
We have a basset and 2 chi. the oldest chi would go out and roll in horse dung every time he had a bath and we would let he out for more than just a quick bathroom break.....but now that he's gottin a little older he has quit. BUT the basset that will be 1 jan 13 is going and running straight to a big pile of either horse or donkey dung every time I let him out without walking him on a chain! he is so hard to give a bath to because he is so big but he has been a inside dog since we got him when he was 6 weeks old.... WHY do they insist in rolling in it????????????????????WHY WHY WHY he is my baby but I am considering having to chain him up outside:(
sad.png
sad.png

I don't know why dogs like rolling in poo, but our 7 yr old beagle loves to run to the barnyard when he escapes the house and rolls in the cow patties. YUCK!!! We have put him on a chain to go to the bathroom now, and so far so good, he loves staying inside the house unless it WALK time. Our rotti does it too when he gets the chance, nothing like trying to bathe 2 dogs that are covered in the stinky mess. Maybe it's the hound in our dogs that like that smell, my beagle goes for the poopy diapers in the garbage too. Not so sweet smelling I tell ya!
roll.png

I wish I knew! I had a dog that I used to take to the beach with me. He would roll on dead fish anytime he found them! Talk about stench!!! I f you figure it out let me know.

They do it to mask their sent, its a lovely ritual that evolved in the wolf an has unfortunately survived in dogs. Since in the wild deer and other prey animals would run from a wolf (or human/shampoo sent), but not a pile of poop! So rolling in poop, dead things, etc. would help in hunting. A weird thing my dogs do is roll on fabric softener sheets if they find one. I don't find this to be a problem as it makes them smell wonderful, but it angers me when they chew up a whole box to do this. I don't understand the evolutionary significance of rolling on dryer sheets, but I'm going to look into it
wink.png

They also like to eat herbivore poop (or stomach contents) because it gives them beneficial gut bacteria and vegetable nutrients and aids in their digestion and gives them a little nutrition that would normally be lacking in their natural diet. Kind of like a really gross bowl of yogurt.

Last edited:
We went fishing with a friend who brings his weener dog with him. We got out at an island in the river that had porta potties. And cows roaming the island.
So it was a hot day and I guess the cows were drinking a lot, because their poo was liquid. The dog rolled all around in the wet poo and then he wanted us to pick him up!
DH grabbed him by the collar and tossed him in the river where his owner washed him off. The dog was so mad at my DH that he (the dog) took a big dump on my DH's seat in the boat.
lau.gif

when my tiny chi goes on a walk, the first thing she does is head for the rabbit poop and eat it. very delicately, like an horderve, too. lol

I have 4 dogs - that all love chicken poop !! I made the mistake of putting my beagle/basset on her leash and taking her in the chicken yard to see all the chickens - chickens of course freaked out LOL but that dang dog found herself a nice pile of fresh poo and started to roll and eat and roll some more ewwwww so when I finally got her out of the run she was NASTY but I have never seen that 3 legged girl happier LOL

the boxers will lick the poo off the bottom of our shoes or roll on them to get to the smell

I swear dogs are gross !! LOL

Julie

Back
Top Bottom