Why does my frazzle have silkied feathers? (PICS)

InsaneBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Kurtistown, Hawaii
I have a frazzled bantam cochin cockerel which came from a frizzle x frizzle mating where I started by breeding two frizzles, and then bred one of the frizzled offspring back to the mother which produced the male pictured below. He and his sister were extremely bald at first, but they soon feathered in completely, and seem to be frizzled and silkied at the same time, even though they are pure bantam cochin. Is there a reason for this?

48890_dscn34671.jpg

48890_dscn34691.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hm, I got her from a hatchery specifically as a frizzled red bantam cochin, so why would they breed silkies with frizzles anyways? And there are no other signs of silkie blood whatsoever (such as black skin, five toes, a walnut comb, blue ears, a crest, or silkie type), so I don't understand why just the feathering would be passed on, and not any of the other silkie genes, were silkie blood the issue here.

Quote:
Hm, I got her from a hatchery specifically as a frizzled red bantam cochin, so why would they breed silkies with frizzles anyways? And there are no other signs of silkie blood whatsoever (such as black skin, five toes, a walnut comb, blue ears, a crest, or silkie type), so I don't understand why just the feathering would be passed on, and not any of the other silkie genes, were silkie blood the issue here.

hatcheries are about quantity not quality and as long as the look like cochin the breed then to each other to sell chicks

Thanks, chickendales, I'll keep the possibility in mind.

minnesotachickenbreeder, do you think it would be possible to breed out the frizzle gene and yet keep the silkie gene? As in, to have silkied cochins without frizzling?

Quote:
if u breed this rooster to non related hen u well get frizzles and non frizzle that carrie the silkie gene b but wount show it

Quote:
if u breed this rooster to non related hen u well get frizzles and non frizzle that carrie the silkie gene b but wount show it

What if I took one of the original hen's (the one with the suspected gene) flat-feathered offspring and bred it to another flat-feathered bird, and then bred the resulting offspring back to the first flat-feathered offspring, and continued in that manner, always breeding the offspring back to the flat-feathered, until the gene was apparent? Would that work?

Back
Top Bottom