1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my frazzle have silkied feathers? (PICS)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by InsaneBreeder, May 25, 2011.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I have a frazzled bantam cochin cockerel which came from a frizzle x frizzle mating where I started by breeding two frizzles, and then bred one of the frizzled offspring back to the mother which produced the male pictured below. He and his sister were extremely bald at first, but they soon feathered in completely, and seem to be frizzled and silkied at the same time, even though they are pure bantam cochin. Is there a reason for this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the hen carries the silkies gene and must have silkie in her some where

3. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Quote:Hm, I got her from a hatchery specifically as a frizzled red bantam cochin, so why would they breed silkies with frizzles anyways? And there are no other signs of silkie blood whatsoever (such as black skin, five toes, a walnut comb, blue ears, a crest, or silkie type), so I don't understand why just the feathering would be passed on, and not any of the other silkie genes, were silkie blood the issue here.

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Hm, I got her from a hatchery specifically as a frizzled red bantam cochin, so why would they breed silkies with frizzles anyways? And there are no other signs of silkie blood whatsoever (such as black skin, five toes, a walnut comb, blue ears, a crest, or silkie type), so I don't understand why just the feathering would be passed on, and not any of the other silkie genes, were silkie blood the issue here.

hatcheries are about quantity not quality and as long as the look like cochin the breed then to each other to sell chicks

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i had red frizzle from a hatchery they had 5 toes look like cochens but had 5 toes

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    The hookless gene is recessive so who knows how long it has been in your line. They dont necessarily have to have Silkies in their backround. There are other silkie feathered Cochins, close to the bottom of this page there is a picture of a pair: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkies.html

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:yes but from hatchery stock there prob;ly silkie in there some where

8. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Thanks, chickendales, I'll keep the possibility in mind.

minnesotachickenbreeder, do you think it would be possible to breed out the frizzle gene and yet keep the silkie gene? As in, to have silkied cochins without frizzling?

9. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:if u breed this rooster to non related hen u well get frizzles and non frizzle that carrie the silkie gene b but wount show it

10. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Quote:if u breed this rooster to non related hen u well get frizzles and non frizzle that carrie the silkie gene b but wount show it

What if I took one of the original hen's (the one with the suspected gene) flat-feathered offspring and bred it to another flat-feathered bird, and then bred the resulting offspring back to the first flat-feathered offspring, and continued in that manner, always breeding the offspring back to the flat-feathered, until the gene was apparent? Would that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by