Why does my hen's back feathers look like this?

Here are 2 articles to read about vent gleet:
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/

With lice, all birds should be dusted every 10 days for 2-3 times to bet the new ones that hatch. The coop bedding should be removed far away, and the roosts, nests, and coop should be treated with Permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. You can find that at most TSC and feedstores under Martins or Gordons brand.
Thank you for the links, I think they haven't been dusted for lice for a while so I'll do that ASAP. Have also ordered some Epsom salts ready.

I would definitely bring her in and thoroughly investigate, then. If there are lice eggs, they need to be removed, and it's not easy. And then treatment for lice/mites - I go with permethrin. You can dust or spray/dip. If you end up washing her butt thoroughly you might as well dip and be done with it, since you're going to have to dry her anyway.
Thank you. I plan on giving her a good wash and treating the flock for lice. I'll be wary of digestive issues.

Vent gleet can also be common or accompany sour crop. I would check her crop early morning before she has had food or water, to make sure that her crop has emptied. If her crop is full and puffy at that time, and if she has a sour or ad odor from the beak, that could be sour crop.

Permethrin is my go to treatment for pests. You need to treat weekly for 3 or 4 weeks to kill any mites as they hatch out. I also use poultry dust in my nest boxes. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChartRev.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR - Copy.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR - Copy.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg