1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why does my muscovie duck not incubate her eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tsc11, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tsc11

tsc11 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    she laid 2 eggs in the last day and this morning but she isnt sitting on them why is that

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    She is probably not done laying yet,my hens lay between 8 and 12 eggs before they start sitting.

3. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I had a couple this year that didn't sit until they had over 20 eggs. give her time. They also hatched out almost every one they sat on.

4. Gardeninggranny

Gardeninggranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Muscoveys lay a lot of eggs before they sit on them. Thats so they hatch at the same time. When she pulls down to cover the eggs she's close to sitting. Don't mess with the nest much or she'll go somewhere else and start over. Its 35 days to hatching for muscovy.

5. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    My muscovy didnt go broody until she had 23 eggs in her nest. Lol! Just be patient she will lay when she thinks she has enough eggs. You will know when she goes broody. [​IMG]

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Mine didn't start to sit on them until she had about a dozen in her nest. If it gets cold at night or during the day, they will typically sit on them so they don't get cold. Just because you don't see her sitting doesn't mean she isn't when you're not looking [​IMG]
    She ended up with a total of 17 eggs. A week or two before they were due to hatch, she would roll out an egg every once in a while. They somehow know which ones are bad! I put them back in her nest a few times, but realized she didn't want them because she kept rolling them out. She rolled out a total of 5 eggs. I broke them open and 3 were infertile, 2 were rotten. I'm guessing they may have been some of the first ones she laid. It was early in the spring and we had some cold nights before she started sitting on them.
    So just be patient [​IMG] She will sit on them eventually, but she'll do it when she's ready. Mine ended up hatching all 12 of her eggs and she mothered them until I took them away. They are awesome birds to have and it's really fun to watch them hatch and raise their young.

7. tsc11

tsc11 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by