Why does one of our baby Black Austrolorp have its bum sticking out?

EagleBuffOrp

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
So, today our chickens are three days old, we got them on Thursday when they were one day old. This morning i saw scat on one of the smallest chickens bum. We tried to get it off, but it stuck. So we got the scat off by getting a old toothbrush and dipping it in water. Then we let the chicken dry by putting her in the cage with the other chickens. Then, this afternoon, at 4:30 pm we picked her up and your could clearly see her bum. Her bum is sticking out, and its reddish-pink. All of the other chickens have pale bums, and you have to try to find the bum. Here is a picture of her bum and her poop.

(P.S.) This photo was taken in a lighter room, the bum is a bit more pink and red than in this picture.

If you scrubbed her little tender vent with a toothbrush, you've irritated the delicate tissue. Is that her poop? Is it runny? Tinged with pink? She may have a cocci infection.

You need to treat her with Corid and put some healing salve on her vent. Keep it clean, as it may clog up again with "pasty butt".

Get the liquid Corid and use a quarter teaspoon of Corid in a cup of tepid water. Mix fresh each day for five days.

Where do you live? I had terrific luck treating an irritated vent with cannabis salve if you're lucky enough to be in a state where it's legal.

Her poo is kinda runny, but it looks normal because all of the chickens we had when they were chicks its all runny. We live in Tennessee,I don't know if it is legal or not, thanks for your answer.

The runny poop MAY be from cocci. It doesn't hurt to go ahead and treat for it. It's simply a nutrient block specific for the cocci bacteria so it doesn't keep on multiplying. It won't hurt their delicate systems, and not treating cocci is far worse.

While pasty butt is a common condition is a lot of new chicks during the first week, it can also result from runny poop from cocci. It's not unusual for chicks to be stressed from shipping and susceptible to these infectious bacteria.

Next time, clean with a Q-tip and warm water. Coconut oil is a good healing oil for delicate vents if you can pick some up. It's in the cooking oil aisle in the grocery store.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom