why does roo attack

Sorry to hear about your sneaky roo.

I am so grateful I have not had a bad roo experience yet. Growing up I had a roo that would chase and flock us kids out of the barn we boarded the horses at. My dad took him to a farm to live
hmm.png
at least thats what he told us.

I have 3 roos with our little herd and I am not afraid of any of them attacking. Maybe it is because they are silkies - don't know.

When anybody comes to my place I have to have 'the talk' with them about my BO rooster. He has 21 ladies that he takes care of very well. He does come after me on occasions but I keep a stick with me when I collect eggs, feed and water them, etc. Most generally he wont bother anybody but if he hears a hen squwak, he is there letting you know, "don't mess with my ladies". If it wasn't for the fact that he does a great job taking care of them, he would be stew!

My sweetie roo who hangs with me, follows me everywhere, and thinks Im his hen, attacked my leg when I was wearing red down slippers. He must hate those things. He also doesnt like it when I put on my nylon over-pants with leg zippers. I have to talk to him constantly while Im zipping them up or he will lunge at me and peck the zipper. I wonder if he think it is something attacking me? Normally he is so protective of me and not mean at all. Roos are very unpredictable.

My first roo 16 years ago was a terror. I would carry a shovel and water hose with me to collect eggs. My ex-husband thought it was funny and would not dispatch this bird. (one of the reasons he's an ex).

Life is too short to deal with an attacking roo, imo. I've had a few young cockrels since then try a sneak attack. They went to 'boot camp' the first time. The 2nd time they went into the stew pot.

These birds free range. We host folks for farm tours. They either respect people as non-threats or they're gone. Simple as that.

Animals around here learn quickly they either get along with everyone or they are removed permanently. Our chickens get along with the turkeys who get along with the geese who get along with the guineas, ducks, peafowl, pidgeons ....

If you have children and have a mean roo, you're only asking for trouble. You wouldn't keep a dog that bites you, would you??

We are going to put up a sign that says:

Forget the dog

watch out for the rooster!

Seriously, if he really hurts someone, he is stew!

Henry'schickens :

Seriously, if he really hurts someone, he is stew!

why give him the chance to really hurt someone? There are too many well behaved roos out there. Far be it for me to tell you how to manage your flock, but a loss of an eye, even not being able to peacefully walk among the birds without looking for an attack is too much for me.​

Quote:
why give him the chance to really hurt someone? There are too many well behaved roos out there. Far be it for me to tell you how to manage your flock, but a loss of an eye, even not being able to peacefully walk among the birds without looking for an attack is too much for me.

As I mentioned before, he does a great job taking care of the ladies. He gets aggresive when someone approches them quickly or gets too close to the coop. That is why I have a 'talk' with anybody that comes over. If you leave him and the ladies alone, he will leave you alone. these young kids (not my kids) seems to think it is funny to chase the hens or throw things at them. They have been warned and if they still do it then they will learn quickly not to mess with rooster booster. He is defending himself and the ladies. That is fair in my opinion.

gotcha bob.

I will not tolerate children that chase my livestock, and heaven help them if they throw something at one of them. They are removed from the area pronto and are not allowed back, period. If they are kin, they have an uncomfortable time sitting down for a while. (The hand of wisdom on their seat of understanding.)

He is accepting of you when you go to collect eggs?

My boys hate when I wear my pink Croc's.. I wore my sons camo boots today and my giant turken had to be told who the Big momma hen around this barnyard. LOL:D

Back
Top Bottom