why does roo attack

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vtchickenlady, Feb 12, 2009.

1. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Yesterday all the chickens were wandering around outside their pen and I was just standing there watching them when all of a sudden my roo walked by me very calmly, then, turned and attached me. Lordy, me hit my knee cap with such a force I thought I would have to put it back into place. He knows I'm his meal ticket so why would he do that to me unprovoked? I had to get the snow shovel to beat him off me!

2. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

How many hens do you have with him

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    bad days, some type of clothing he didn't like, trying to be alpha rooster.. protecting something( this is most likely ruled out in this case). you never know..

4. BB3

BB3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    I have 2 that peck at my boots if I get in their space, if I was to push them away with my boot they would just come back and fly into my leg, so for me I just give them some space and watch them. plus I wear coveralls the thick ones from tractor supply, and mine are bantams so their attacks arent as bad, you probally have the big ones, that's why I'm glad I dont have the big ones now. I guess Im just a big rooster to them.

5. vtchickenlady

Sep 5, 2008
    I have 10 hens to the 1 roo. He is pretty protective of them so I can see him doing that if I was hurting one of them. Good grief, I was minding my own business and he just walked over and attacked. Maybe he didn't like the pants I had on. Who knows.

6. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Every batch of hens+1Roo that I have had, the Roo has always been very protective. Once he learned that I was in charge (a few gentle smacks with my right hand), he quit coming after me. It may take a few times and he will always be protective but he needs to know you are the boss.

Remember, those are HIS girls, not yours.

7. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    I have 2 roos that try to sneak attack me and not even in their pen, just out in my yard. I'll be minding my own business and can hear feet running up behind me. Their days are numbered!!

8. vtchickenlady

Sep 5, 2008
    Whew, I think I'll start wearing my husbands chain saw pants from now on!

9. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Mine did the exact same thing the other day... I managed to grab him around his neck during his attack and I pinched the back of his head. I've seen the birds do that to each other when they go 1 on 1. Oh, the humiliation in his rooster face! Today, I pointed my finger in his face and he crouched. Score: Mom 1, rooster 0.

Colby in KY

10 EEs, 50 GLW tweens.

10. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    My Speckled Sussex rooster will become stew if he doesn't stop with the frontal and sneak attacks. I appreciate him guarding the girls, but I'm the food bringer! Unless someone here needs a beautiful big SS roo.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by