Why does she look like this?...****PICS***

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I think one of my hens is molting but being a new chicken mom i wanted to post pics and see what the opinion is from anyone here... Thanks

I have checked for mites, and lice
there is NO redness at the bald site
No one else is looking this rough
No one is pecking at her
she is eating and drinking fine

13904_dsc03481.jpg

13904_dsc03482.jpg

13904_dsc03483.jpg

13904_dsc03485.jpg

Someone plucked her. Do you have a rooster? They also grab hens by the neck to teach them who is boss and to teach them to squat to be mated.

nope no rooster...
she started to look really "ratty" a few weeks ago and now I just noticed she is missing feathers and the rest of her feathers are split, no longer looking nice and "groomed"

so if she is not molting can someone post pics of a chicken that is molting

230_one2_small_800.jpg

Here is a pic of a heavy moulter. I am going to guess your girl got picked perhaps when you aren't looking such as just before bed time, as I don't really see that many pin feathers coming out. But if she is moulting, pin feathers should pop out of the bare spot within a few days.

hahahahahaha silkie my DD just seen the pic of your chicken and said wow that one is beautiful...lol...

ok I brought this poor girl in the house... I NOW HAVE A HOUSE CHICKEN...
wee.gif

she just runs around the kitchen all day clucking away..its funny (although the BOMBS are not)

how long will it take for the feathers to grow back?

It should only take a week or 2. in the pics you posted they are looking like they are coming back in again so it shouldn't be too long. Keep an eye on her when you put her back because the others may pluck her again. I have a similar issue going on in my serama flock right now and one of my boys looks like a mini turken, im thinking about making him a scarf until the feathers grow back

Back
Top Bottom