Why does she walk like this?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
There is a hen at the farm I volunteer at that walks/runs really strange. She always does this. She looks to be a welsummer, but I'm not sure of age. I'll attach a video:

Watch her some more. Look for her to peck her foot or leg. When she does that, it will tell you exactly where her problem is.

My guess is she has some gunk on her foot. Or bumblefoot, which is a bacterial infection and it hurts. Examine the feet, tops and bottoms. Examine her legs for swelling. Compare the two. Perhaps the right leg is thicker at some point, indicating arthritis or some other bone disorder.

Watch her some more. Look for her to peck her foot or leg. When she does that, it will tell you exactly where her problem is.

My guess is she has some gunk on her foot. Or bumblefoot, which is a bacterial infection and it hurts. Examine the feet, tops and bottoms. Examine her legs for swelling. Compare the two. Perhaps the right leg is thicker at some point, indicating arthritis or some other bone disorder.
She doesn't like to be held but I'll try to grab her off the roost tonight. I'm not over there all the time, just for my volunteer duties.

There is a hen at the farm I volunteer at that walks/runs really strange. She always does this. She looks to be a welsummer, but I'm not sure of age. I'll attach a video:
All good suggestions. In addition to examining her legs/feet, I would check her crop as well.
I've never seen it with mine, but there's been a few people that have shared videos/descriptions similar and the hen was high stepping (like at the very end of your video) and the issue was the crop. Sour crop is something I would check. It may be harder for you to tell since you are not there very often. If there are other volunteers that are willing to help you monitor her crop that would be good.

Is she high stepping with both feet or just one? I would definitely check the bottoms of her feet for bumble foot or other issues. Does that ground get muddy? Do you have access to pine shavings, dry leaves, pine needles, or something else you can scatter around for them to scratch through? Is there a high spot they can jump down from that does not have a soft landing?

Back
Top Bottom