Why does this keep happening?!?

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
For the 2nd time in the past 6 months one of our chickens (Mojave our Buff Brahma) drowned in one of our duck pools. I goin her about an hour ago. In my last post somone said my ducks are pulling the chickens in and drowning them. Is this the most likley cause? How can I stop this from happening Brussels this has killed off 3 out of 9 hens. The pool is about a foot and half deep. Should I get a shallower pool? And if anyone has any other idea why this is happening please share. The only other information I can give you is each day this has happened, it has happend on or after a very cold day.
Thanks and RIP MoJave
Jackson
We look forever to ind Buff Brahma chicks in WA, when we found them we couldent have picked a better chicken. Love you Mojave!

I use a pool that is about 1 ft. deep and have never had a drowning chicken even with my male white pekin. I suggest a 1 ft. pool so that it is nearly impossible to drown.

Hmm. I have a giant pond/puddle in our yard that my adult chickens drink from, but they never get in it...the ducks are still in the brooder, so it has to be the ducks getting the chickens in the water, that or your chickens have decided to drown themselves. Chickens don't like to get wet so it doesn't seem that they would get in the water of their own accord.

Back
Top Bottom