Why does this white chick have some gray feathers?

McGill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Kansas
One of my white cochin bantams has some odd gray/black feathers. Is that normal?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230709-193156.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230709-193156.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 25
  • VideoCapture_20230709-193101.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230709-193101.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 11
Is that normal?
It's a reflection of something genetic.. plumage wise.. very normal and not cause for concern with regards to health. Just looks like color leakage to me.

Breeding, showing, etc.. may or may not be desirable.. example of possibly desirable IF it was Paint (whole feather is black not just portions). Also irrelevant for pet flocks, making it easier to tell individual apart.. very commonly seen in hybrid layers like California white, ideal 236, etc.

White can come in recessive (takes 2 copies to show in offspring and produces the whitest birds) or dominant (takes only one copy, can hide other colors underneath (more chance of leakage), and crossed over black produces paint).

Sometimes blue Splash can look similar.. usually more gray and black.. doesn't require whole feather involvement.

Please understand that I'm just an enthusiast with limited understanding/explanation and verification through your own research/breeding adventures and/or more feedback is always recommended.

Cute babies! :love

(Should the time come, do you already know not to breed frizzle to frizzle in order to avoid frazzle?)

It's a reflection of something genetic.. plumage wise.. very normal and not cause for concern with regards to health. Just looks like color leakage to me.

Breeding, showing, etc.. may or may not be desirable.. example of possibly desirable IF it was Paint (whole feather is black not just portions). Also irrelevant for pet flocks, making it easier to tell individual apart.. very commonly seen in hybrid layers like California white, ideal 236, etc.

White can come in recessive (takes 2 copies to show in offspring and produces the whitest birds) or dominant (takes only one copy, can hide other colors underneath (more chance of leakage), and crossed over black produces paint).

Sometimes blue Splash can look similar.. usually more gray and black.. doesn't require whole feather involvement.

Please understand that I'm just an enthusiast with limited understanding/explanation and verification through your own research/breeding adventures and/or more feedback is always recommended.

Cute babies! :love

(Should the time come, do you already know not to breed frizzle to frizzle in order to avoid frazzle?)
Thanks! Great explanation! They're just pets/backyard egg layers, so I don't need show quality. I was just curious. And yes, I already rehomed one frizzled roo to avoid frazzles. Can't keep roos in town anyway.

Black flecks here and there are common in dominant whites. Most my dominant white chickens have at least one black spot on a feather somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom