Why don't antibiotics work?!

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I am often told to cull chickens that have respiratory diseases caused by bacteria because they will remain carriers of the bacteria (and disease) even if they appear healthy.

But some people treat with various antibiotics for poultry and the antibiotics kill the bacteria and the chicken 'recovers'... or at lease the symptoms disappear.

So, if the antibiotics kill the bacteria causing the disease enough to help the chicken get back to good health and show no symptoms.... why doesn't the antibiotics kill 100 percent of the bacteria?

An if not all of the bacteria are kill.. how can the chicken seem healthy again?

Instead of writing a long reply, I just did a google search for the following link. You might want to read it.
http://www.tufts.edu/med/apua/about_issue/about_antibioticres.shtml

The mechanism in which antibiotics work on chicken is same as in human. The problem with antibiotics abuse is that we're dealing with more and more resistant strains. People quit too early as soon as they 'feel' better and that's contributing to the problem.

Also, after you treat your flock, it's a good idea to give them some probiotics to recolonize their gut with good bacteria, same as in people.

Last edited:
I am often told to cull chickens that have respiratory diseases caused by bacteria because they will remain carriers of the bacteria (and disease) even if they appear healthy.

But some people treat with various antibiotics for poultry and the antibiotics kill the bacteria and the chicken 'recovers'... or at lease the symptoms disappear.

So, if the antibiotics kill the bacteria causing the disease enough to help the chicken get back to good health and show no symptoms.... why doesn't the antibiotics kill 100 percent of the bacteria?

An if not all of the bacteria are kill.. how can the chicken seem healthy again?

My peachick was sick last year, was treated with antibiotics, has been fine since as are all others he was with.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/945918/my-first-sinus-infection

-Kathy

Instead of writing a long reply, I just did a google search for the following link. You might want to read it.
http://www.tufts.edu/med/apua/about_issue/about_antibioticres.shtml

The mechanism in which antibiotics work on chicken is same as in human. The problem with antibiotics abuse is that we're dealing with more and more resistant strains. People quit too early as soon as they 'feel' better and that's contributing to the problem.

Also, after you treat your flock, it's a good idea to give them some probiotics to recolonize their gut with good bacteria, same as in people.
It also doesn't help when websites like Durvet provide incorrect dosing

-Kathy

Here are some lab reports:
R or resistant won't work, S or sensitive should work... not sure about I /intermediate

Respiratory infection

Respiratory infection

Respiratory infection

Yolk Sac infection

-Kathy

Some people mistakenly use antibiotics when the cause of the illness isn't bacterial, but viral. Viral infections are lifelong in poultry, no matter what.
Ditto, and viral infections can be lifelong in humans too, even if they're suppressed for the time being. That's why people start experiencing Shingles after chicken pox in childhood, and viruses such as HPV reappear after decades when the immune system start getting suppressed in later years.

Wow.. thanks... this is all very interesting.

I understand viral diseases will not be cured by antibiotics.

Do you think if its bacterial.. and we treat with the correct antibiotics over the correct time period.. then the disease should be wiped out of that chicken and it won't be a carrier?

That's how it works in humans right?

I also keep fancy pigeons.. and once they got salmonella and I lost most of my flock.. but the survivors, which were sick with the disease symptoms.. recovered and went of to build up my new flock with them.... I did loose a few squabs and dead in the shell pigeons to start with.. but after a few months everything went back to normal. I did not treat the birds with antibiotics at that time.... and now the birds I have must be resistant to salmonella bacteria. I have also introduced many new birds to that flock and none got sick from salmonella... so the birds can not be carriers... they must have cleared the bacteria from their systems.

Do you think if its bacterial.. and we treat with the correct antibiotics over the correct time period.. then the disease should be wiped out of that chicken and it won't be a carrier?

That's how it works in humans right?

I also keep fancy pigeons.. and once they got salmonella and I lost most of my flock.. but the survivors, which were sick with the disease symptoms.. recovered and went of to build up my new flock with them.... I did loose a few squabs and dead in the shell pigeons to start with.. but after a few months everything went back to normal. I did not treat the birds with antibiotics at that time.... and now the birds I have must be resistant to salmonella bacteria. I have also introduced many new birds to that flock and none got sick from salmonella... so the birds can not be carriers... they must have cleared the bacteria from their systems.
Yes.

No. It's a bit more complex than that.

Bacterial infections do not work like viral infections. You can build up a sturdy flock, but if given the right conditions and the wrong exposures, both bacterial and viral infections will persist. Viral infections often last for life in poultry because viruses are not easily eradicated. Bacterial infections have a source that can be eradicated with proper medication and hygiene techniques. That is a key difference.

Back
Top Bottom