1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why don't my Buffs go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tenMOacres, Mar 28, 2007.

1. tenMOacres

tenMOacres New Egg

Mar 19, 2007
    I have 11 hens and 1 roo, all ~1year old. Since Buffs are supposed to be likely to brood, I thought by now at least one would be setting. Last November one hen hatched out 2, so I know they can do it. I have them on Flock Raiser plus free choice oyster shell and supplement with black oil sunflowers and some table scraps for treats. After reading several posts here on the subject, I have set up 2 new nest boxes in darker corners of the coop, and plan to pick up some cracked corn. Any other ideas? Am I too late for this season? Thanks in advance; I learn so much from you all!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have found the best way to get a hen to go broody is to keep her cooped up. I think they get so bored, they figure they may as well set and hatch some babies. [​IMG] At least that's how it goes here. In the dead of winter when I hold them in to prevent frostbite, they go broody on me. Now that they are getting to free range more, no one wants to sit. Not sure if this is a possibility for you or your setup, but thought I'd mention. Fingers crossed for a broody hen soon. [​IMG]

Jody

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Leave a few eggs in the nest, or even golf balls. If there are eggs in the nests they might be more willing to set. I don't think you can really make a hen go broody its really just a thing that happens naturally. having a light on in the coop for part of the night so they get 14 hours of light will help too. Its still a little early, spring has just begun so it might just happen later.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Golf balls are the magic ticket for me.

5. tenMOacres

tenMOacres New Egg

Mar 19, 2007
    Okay, thanks everyone; I'll leave some eggs in their favorite boxes. We've had the artificial light all winter; I actually had wondered if maybe that wasn't somehow part of the problem, so I'm glad to see that suggestion. I have a hen that's already cooped up due to an injury from my over-zealous roo. She doesn't show any signs of broodiness, but I assumed her eggs wouldn't be fertile anyway. Is that right, or how does that work? You're right about it just now turning Spring; I suppose I'm being a little impatient. (Or "obsessive", if you were to ask my kids!)
    Thanks again!

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    All my ladies are setting. When I want a certain hen to brood, I put her by herself in a small 6' X 6' fenced area. To get her started I place those plastic easter eggs in the nest. Once she starts, I replace the plastic ones with real eggs. I do this when I want large hacthes. For I put 15 eggs in the nest. Try it, it works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by