Why don't my chickens go broody???

There isn't a solid answer to this question, their broodiness hinges on hormones in the brain being high enough to put and keep them in a broody state.
Breed can play as a small indicator to which ones are more likely to brood but in the end they are all individuals.
Most of my flock consist of Faverolles a notoriously baby brained breed yet only a quarter ever go into a broody state and maybe half of those keep levels high enough to keep them there long enough for a successful hatch.
So, in a nutshell even with broody breeds its a crapshoot.:)

If you mess with them too much they sometimes will not try to brood. Its pretty much up to to disposition of the particular bird. Cochins and Silkies usually are good broodies. but i had a silkie hen that never went broody in the five years I had her. I had a cochin hen that would go broody if you left an egg (or a golf ball) in the nest. She was an excellent mama, would take every chick you put under her, even if her chicks were completely feathered out. She would even be laying and still raising her chicks.

Get yourself a silky, I heard they hatch rocks. 🤣
Had a friend that would put a silkie rooster with a couple of game hens to get broodies. Most of the offspring were excellent mamas, not so wild as the game and more fluff to their feathers so they could cover more eggs. Still had the game hen mama instinct to fight for their babies.

I don't have broody chickens, but I have muscovy ducks. They are broody masters. I just don't let them brood most of the time. Last year I let one hatch out eggs and out of the 5 she sat on, 3 hatched and 2 of those 3 were drakes.
This year I let a broody muscovy sit on some polish and polish mix eggs. There were issues so, I only got 2 viable birds from that. Which honestly was fine because I only have room for 2 and I would have had to rehome the rest. But, muscovy are great brooodies. I sometimes wish they weren't.
Pretty much that seems to be the issue - when you want a broody you can't get one and when you don't you have your hands full of them. 🤷‍♀️

If I Want mine to get broody I just leave fake eggs in the nesting box and three little bantams automatically get broody. Two were broody the other day, now there's five. One's (a orpington) been sitting on nothing for three months.
That will not cause a hen to go broody. Bantams are notorious for going broody - the eggs in the box / going broody is just a coincidence. That being said, please break her of being broody - she may get very sick and die, since broodies don’t take very good care of themselves while focusing on hatching eggs.

Not all chickens will go broody. I have 16 hens that are all the same breed and only 1 will go broody on a yearly occasion.
Being just over a year old, I would wait.
My hen that normally goes broody didn’t first go broody until she was 3 years old but every chicken is different.

Buff orpingtons and plymouth rocks are the ones that are supposed to be "setters". They're over a year old at this point.
Buff Orpingtons yes, Barred Rocks not broody.
I've had 7 Barred Rocks for more than a year, 5 more than 1 1/2 years and the final 3 for 33 months, none ever went broody.

I recently bought 4 more Barred Rocks, because I don't want any setters.
I buy Sex-links or non-broody breeds. No Cockerels/Roosters here.
I also bought Rhode Island Reds, not known for going broody.
Now any non-broody breed could go broody, just not as common.
Buff Orpington are known to go broody more often than some, but like yours may not. Yours are still relatively young, but I'm thinking your moving tractor coop could discourage broody behavior, but I'm guessing.

My first Flock of Barred Rocks.
20190627_093802.jpg

My second flock of Barred Rocks with Rhode Island Reds.
20210620_051703_resized.jpg

They are 6 weeks old today. GC

Back
Top Bottom