Why don't people listen... Rant

Pics
I think a little different. Grew up in farm country. Dogs were pets, chickens were livestock. Farmers took care of there flock, but they had losses. Seen many a " old school" farm coop from the 50's 60's. They were far from what we are told is adequate today.

Only in the past 20 yrs or so have people started having chickens for pets. However they are classified as livestock. I do everything I can to keep my flock safe, but I'm certainly not opposed the frying one, or more, of them up. They are livestock IMHO. If someone considers their birds pets, that's up to them.
You de realize that before chickens were considered pets, dogs slept outside in dog houses and were used for working not snuggling. Pull such a stunt today in an eastern or western US state and all hell breaks loose.

Have you ever applied to purchase a purebred puppy? Some cost $1200 or more. You have to fill out 8 to 10 pages of paperwork and qualify for the privilege. And if you don't have an adequately fenced yard, forget about it. They won't even interview you. Yes interview you. And they want to know your pet history. How many dogs have you had in the past? What happened to them? How long did they live? How many do you have now? Why are you in the market for a new dog? Etc. How many children in the home? What are their ages? Who will be responsible for feeding and walking to dog?

If they don't like your answers, you don't even get on the premesis to see the puppies. And they don't care if they hurt you feelings. They'll thell you straight up you don't meet their requirements to receive one of their precious puppies. So sad, too bad.

Maybe we should have similar screening processes for our chicks and chickens. Here, fill out this form and I'll let you know if you qualify to buy one of my birds. Someone will be over to inspect your premises over the weekend.
HA they should make it that hard to adopt CHILDREN ... we have had this situation on adopting and we had a great dane fella we kept for three years and he was a handful, we had two other Dane's as well that were wonderful, this dog would knock my husband down all the time and for someone with a bad spine not a good thing, we finally couldn't take it any more and went through Dane's in distress to find him a loving home where he could be the only dog and center of attention, I could not believe what they put clients trough to get a dog,i honestly don't think adopting children is that harsh ...
And with your comment Aussies are very high energy and need a lot of exercise and to see some chickens running around it's game on lets play and they have no clue they are not to play with them .. problem is and I hate to say it "you can't fix stupid "

I
You de realize that before chickens were considered pets, dogs slept outside in dog houses and were used for working not snuggling. Pull such a stunt today in an eastern or western US state and all hell breaks loose.

Yes, I do. But dogs were also pets. The dogs on both my uncle's farms were family dogs that also protected livestock. Some lived outside in the barn, some inside.
Fact is, chickens were concerned livestock back then, and still are today.

Some people shouldn't have pets, some shouldn't have chickens, weather they consider them livestock, or pets. It's not up to me to decide weather they should or not. It's up to them. I can only try to help them learn.

So very true. While reading this I was thinking I need to put people through that application process before I sell them chickens. With the small gene pool for my breed, I'm heartbroken when I sell some nearly perfect birds and hear about them being killed.
I probably wouldn't feel that way if I raised a common breed but there are so few of these, they shouldn't be wasted on someone who will be less than careful with them.
I just looked up your chicken type, they are abosolutly gorgeous birds .. Keep them coming

That's the way it was when I was growing up. Dogs were for working, not as pets and they slept outside in their dog houses. We did play with them but they were work dogs.

Here in California, we had a visit from Animal control because we had our dog tied to a tree in the front yard...for about an hour!

Back
Top Bottom