Why Duck?

There's not much you can do about the over mating if he has a clear favorite. She definitely needs to be separated so she can recover and hopefully he will turn his attention to the two other girls, but keep a close eye in case he picks only one of them to mate with.

For the first question, were you asking how to get your pekin to mate successfully? I assume you want to incubate the eggs.
It's weird to me that he wouldn't want to mate in the water. When my pekin have access to water, the fertility rate shoots way up. They're such heavy birds that it's much easier for them to do the deed when they have the water to hold them up versus on the ground when they're constantly struggling to stay on the other duck's back.
Hey! That’s what I’m beginning to understand, apparently ducks can have eyes for only one too! 😂 We will work on separating her, Lord’s Willing!!

And yes, we would love to know how to get him to mate successfully! We would also love to incubate some Pekin eggs. We put some in with the Cayuga duck eggs, just in case we missed him being successful.. to no avail. It was super obvious that they weren’t fertile this time around.
He hardly ever swims! I’ve never seen anything like it!! The girls all love their pool. I thought the same thing, that it would make it easier on both of them, but he refuses. That could very well be a part on top of the over mating that is causing her so much grief. I bet he’s hurting her more than simply being after her too often. I just sprayed some Blu Kote on a wing sore on the over-mated girl, and praying that it will help, along with being separated. But he won’t even swim just because! Any clue why he would act like that? Praise The Lord, he seems to be other wise healthy!

My only thought is that he has trouble getting in or out of the water or perhaps something bad happened that made him leery of it. Would you post a photo of their pool?

Hey! That’s what I’m beginning to understand, apparently ducks can have eyes for only one too! 😂 We will work on separating her, Lord’s Willing!!

And yes, we would love to know how to get him to mate successfully! We would also love to incubate some Pekin eggs. We put some in with the Cayuga duck eggs, just in case we missed him being successful.. to no avail. It was super obvious that they weren’t fertile this time around.
He hardly ever swims! I’ve never seen anything like it!! The girls all love their pool. I thought the same thing, that it would make it easier on both of them, but he refuses. That could very well be a part on top of the over mating that is causing her so much grief. I bet he’s hurting her more than simply being after her too often. I just sprayed some Blu Kote on a wing sore on the over-mated girl, and praying that it will help, along with being separated. But he won’t even swim just because! Any clue why he would act like that? Praise The Lord, he seems to be other wise healthy!
I have a jumbo pekin and she never goes in never has in the 8 years I had her. She just like preening and hanging on the edge instead.

There's not much you can do about the over mating if he has a clear favorite. She definitely needs to be separated so she can recover and hopefully he will turn his attention to the two other girls, but keep a close eye in case he picks only one of them to mate with.

For the first question, were you asking how to get your pekin to mate successfully? I assume you want to incubate the eggs.
It's weird to me that he wouldn't want to mate in the water. When my pekin have access to water, the fertility rate shoots way up. They're such heavy birds that it's much easier for them to do the deed when they have the water to hold them up versus on the ground when they're constantly struggling to stay on the other duck's back.

how deep should water be? I have got 1+4 pekin ducklings.

Oh, good to know. I've seen my little runner drake try and try and not mate successfully several times. I think he gets it now and then, but he sure isn't very quick.

I would want to separate your pekin girl with a friend though - she shouldn't feel lonely!
Somehow I missed this comment!!!
I’m glad he isn’t alone! 🙄 That’ll increase our drake’s ego for sure. 😂

My only thought is that he has trouble getting in or out of the water or perhaps something bad happened that made him leery of it. Would you post a photo of their pool?
Yes Ma’am! This isn’t a great picture, and it’s nighttime so... 🙄😂
But maybe it gets the idea!
This is a 50 (I think!) gallon Rubbermaid tub maybe slightly bigger. It is laid at an angle, so it can’t be filled completely up. We have that ramp going into it...
any suggestions? They are so big they don’t gracefully do... well really anything! 😂 bless their hearts.
Definitely not getting into their swimming tub... we’re open to ideas!!!

I can’t see a picture of the tub, but a small kiddie pool works good. Flat paving stones can be used inside and out to make a ramp.
I dug a pond for mine and used roofing rubber tarp as a liner. It’s awesome! I left the tarp exposed in some areas and they loved it for sunbathing on.
This is my current setup. The opening on the right is shallow so they walk right in and it goes down to 24” down by the filter box.
F52E63ED-6D04-460E-8A5B-7E69EE53CE2F.jpeg
B2C9AD1F-1DCD-4C85-B111-AFB5209FA292.png

This was my first setup before digging the bigger pond. This one is a pond form from menards. It work ok when it was just the two pekin girls.
F5A2CFE1-38F0-4DA4-992A-90C0E6479E3E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom