Why Ducks?

Bedste

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Cut n Shoot Texas
I understand chickens on a farm but what are the benifets to DUCKS? Do you eat their eggs? Do you sell their eggs? Do they lay every day?

What do they contribute to the average backyard FARM??

My ducks:

eat loads of slugs, Japanese beetles & grubs, squash beetles, chickweed, dandelion
provide delicious eggs five times higher in B12 than chicken eggs (gram per gram, per USDA)
produce fertilizer that doesn't burn plants and accelerates the rate of composting used bedding
don't need a roost (but need a safe enclosure)
love rain

Quote:
x2 very well said!
thumbsup.gif

I dont think I could say it better, only I dont think my ducks lay eggs yet if they do I will find out tomarrow just trapped the ladies so if they lay I can find the eggs.

I totally agree with the baked good comment. I made a cake about 3 or 4 days ago and I used duck eggs. Well needless to say that if I had used chicken eggs the cake would not have been nearly as fluffy as it was. Lol! Oh and the cake is still good, usually it is hard by now. Lol! Ducks are awesome!

Ducks will come outside in the winter while the chickens like to stay in the coop. The meat tastes better than chickens and their eggs make for better baked goods.

Back
Top Bottom