Why Ducks?

Along with all the great affore mentioned stuff:

1. Ducks don't need a high fence to keep them in: 2 feet is enough.
2. Ducks are very easy to herd. You can herd a group into the garden with a 2-foot fence, and they'll stay there all day and eat the bugs. Try that with chickens.
3. Grow very fast to butchering stage, even the egg-laying breeds (8 weeks for ducks, chickens take 4 months, unless you have cornish cross, which are no good for eggs)
4. Won't scratch up your soil in the garden... and if you don't have too many they also won't eat your plants, only the bugs.
5. Are safe around children. No problems with agressive roosters.

That's all for now, but I'll probably think of more later.

i think ducks(mine especially) have the greatest personality around.....they r funny...my dog and my male duck(nonsense) chase each other around, he also chases after the dog when the dog has his back turned..he puts his head down...starts running flapping his wings and rams right into the back of the dogs butt(thats about the height),the dog turns around and looks like "what the heck u doing bro" lmao...i just love to watch them waddle around everywhere...quack at each other..fight with each other...

even though they r getting way to comfortable...my boyfriend found them in his garage looking through his tool bag looking for grub..lmao...they pooped on the floor..he wasnt too happy..but not upset..was our fault...we feed them peas right at the door of the garage..so now they know..."ohhh peas come from in there..maybe if we go look ourselves..maybe we will find some"..lol...

I Love me some "nonsense n Giggles"!!!!!!
woot.gif

They nap at my feet in the sun and follow my canoe across the pond. They LOVE to hang with people. Anytime folks are sitting on the lawn, the ducks have to be right there too. Tiki torches don't deter them at all.

And they are more parasite resistant and hardy in general.

I LOVE that you can herd them. "Go home duckies" and a little push from behind, and off they march, nicely grouped together. No scattering and squawking about it.

They're easily entertained, just give them a pan of water.

If you house them on gravel or other hard surfaces with good drainage, clean up is a breeze with the hose... no scraping, scrubbing, or anything. The poo is totally water soluble.

EGGS!

the BEST eggs, WAY better than even my excellent home grown chicken eggs. can't tell you exactly WHY they're better, but every time I eat duck eggs I just think "MAN are those good eggs!"
the perfect food? Duck egg salad. just mayo and coddled duck eggs and a tiny bit of salt. doesn't need anything more. ok, well fresh baked bread for the sandwich is nice, but really it's all about the duck eggs.

many duck breeds are reliable long-season layers, the eggs are generally bigger, with concrete shells that make them keep longer.

aside from that, ducks are beautiful, goofy to watch especially when hunting grasshoppers, don't care if they're not back in the hutch when its raining, entertaining on water and on land, eat bugs, and grow faster than any of the other barnyard birds. and if you have too many drakes, they're tasty.

plus they're great for fine-tuning my border collie's herding skills... ducks are so sensitive to movement and pressure that they really demand precision and skill from a herd dog and their handler.

and did I mention EGGS?

don't get me wrong, I have, and love, chickens, geese, guineas, and turkeys too, but the ducks... well let me tell you about the eggs....

Quote:
You really didnt know ducks lay eggs? Almost as good or better than chickens. Unless you were joking then I soumd like a fool.

Back
Top Bottom