Why hasn't anyone written a Cornish X page? Forget it. I'll will!!!

Quote:
I'm fine with a page about the Cornish X. It could provide useful information for people who want to raise some for the table and put it all in one place. I think you got off to a bad foot with your suggestion, though, when you wrote the following line:

"I know many are going to say that the breed isn't 'true'. Well, either is a Fizzle, Turken, or a Buckeye, but yet they are accepted as a breed. "

A line like that is just going to draw attention to itself and lose the focus of your post. I don't know about the other two, I'm positive the Buckeye is a breed and does in fact breed true, which is not the case with the CX.

So, go ahead. I'm fine with a page somewhere on the Cornish X, as long as nowhere in there is a reference to them as a breed.

Well I admitted already on page 1 that true was the wrong word to use so in my next post I used the terms pure and accepted. I learned by my mistake, so lets move on.

So far these are the other words used to describe a Cornish X that we can pick from to describe what they are. (god, this is just stupid...)

Jumbled Mess, Cross, Hybrid, Terminal Cross, Non-Breed, and Cross Breed. Any other ideas on what to call this chicken???

Quote:
Hybrid or cross will be fine. You may proceed.

lol.png
wink.png
smile.png

Quote:
Fine I will: https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/cornish/21703

Anything
I should add or change???

ETA: I HAD to choose a breed title and Cornish was the closest thing. Nifty is going to have to edit the main title to cut down on confusion with the standard cornish.

Perhaps you could call them "Broiler hybrids", or "Cornish-Cross broiler hybrids". That would eliminate the confusion with standard Cornish, for most anyway, and make it clear that they're meat birds.

Quote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/4881566/Sudden-Death-Syndrome-in-Broiler-Chicken

I came across it when searching for information. I think it refers to how they are found when dead. On their backs with wings out, feet up. Like they did a flip (?)

"Flip" does refer to how the birds die from a specific type of heart attack, and they do, literally, flip over when they die. Some refer to all broiler deaths as "Flip", but sometimes they drop dead from other causes, including CHF, (congestive heart failure) or other organ failures, and do not flip over when they die. Those deaths are not actually "Flip", even though some call it that.

They're still just as dead, though, so it doesn't really matter, unless you're working on how to prevent a specific type of death. Even then, what works to prevent Flip, will help prevent CHF as well.

dancingbear, the main title is from a list of breeds. (ya, I know. But that's what it says) I can't add or modify it. Cornish is the closest thing. I would have settled for "Other".

Back
Top Bottom