Why hasn't anyone written a Cornish X page? Forget it. I'll will!!!

CARS

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
In the Breeds, Genetics, Showing section there is a list of breeds and traits that is awesome but somehow they forgot to add the Cornish X, Americas Meat Bird (patent pending
lol.png
)

I know many are going to say that the breed isn't "true". Well, either is a Fizzle, Turken, or a Buckeye, but yet they are accepted as a breed.

Would one of you guys/gals who raise thousands write something up? I think Niffty still has a Golden Feather gift for a page!

Last edited:
Quote:
A Buckeye isn't a true breed?

It says right on the breed page "Mrs. Metcalf started crossing Buff Cochin males with Barred Rock females, she was not happy with this cross because she considered them large and lazy. So the black breasted red game fowl male was introduced to the resulting Buff Cochin/Barred Rock offspring."

Doesn't look pure to me. It looks like it was "accepted".

I think you answered your own question...they don't breed true. The buckeyes have crossed other breeds in to make the breed they want but now they are a solid breed that can breed true to the buckeye standards. CornishX are great birds but they have to contain specific lineage to get that final animal.

A buckeye to a buckeye is a....buckeye.
A cornishX to a cornishX is a jumbled mess of chicks (if you can even get chicks...) that contain various genes. I am sure they could become a breed if you can sustain the genetics a bit better. Good luck
wink.png

Last edited:
Point taken Mountainpridefarm but the frizzle doesn't hatch true and they have a page.

I in no means was bashing the Buckeye. I just threw it out there because it is a cross. Just like breeding a cornish and a rock. I know that "true" wasn't the right word to use. I did change my reply to pure and accepted.

I am just asking someone with decades or thousands of birds under their belt to write a page
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Just about all breeds started out as crosses, until the genes became stabilized and began to breed true, and were then "accepted".

As for frizzles, I don't have a clue. Isn't frizzeledness a genetic aberration that can occur in various breeds? Or is there an actual breed, that sometimes doesn't frizzle? I know there are color variations in some breeds, that are not stable, and there's a percentage of chicks that won't carry the parent coloring.

Quote:
I guess the question then becomes: what breed is pure?

Very deep thinking there! A Cornish-Rock is a first or second generation hybrid, right? I think it is although I might be wrong. However, Buckeyes have been maintained separately from other chicken varieties for many generations, making them somewhat pure. The Buckeye is therefore more of a breed than the Cornish-Rock. I think.

However, some hybrids have breed pages so maybe the Cornish hybrids need a page, too. Hmm.

I agree that Cornish X are not a breed, and Buckeyes are (like dancingbear said, that's how pretty much all breeds start), but the birds are so standardized that I think it makes perfect sense to have a page for them. It could be quite helpful.

Back
Top Bottom