Why hasn't my chicken laid any eggs ?

If she just turned a year and just started laying say her first egg a few data ago and it was wonky maybe she's just a late starter, what breed is she? Some hens don't lay very much... Just an idea

I have a bird 7 1/2 months that just started a couple weeks ago. 9 months isn't unheard of, I find the squat and combs redden and they get less irritable and start laying around the same time and early eggs are funky sometimes. Do you have other hens?

I have a bird 7 1/2 months that just started a couple weeks ago. 9 months isn't unheard of, I find the squat and combs redden and they get less irritable and start laying around the same time and early eggs are funky sometimes. Do you have other hens?
No currently i do not, tomorrow I will be going to a breeder that has a variety of chicken breeds and hopefully buying two or three chickens.
Planning on getting a Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and maybe a red Sex-link.

No currently i do not, tomorrow I will be going to a breeder that has a variety of chicken breeds and hopefully buying two or three chickens. 
Planning on getting a Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and maybe a red Sex-link.
oh she will be likely much less stressed once they're old enough to be out with her, I would separate her from the rooster until then if you want eggs, she's likely stressed being alone accept for a bird that's very affectionate.. ... Is he the same breed or is he just her protector/ company? Is the goal breeding them? We have orps and rocks and they haven't started laying yet but they will this year. I find when my hens aren't happy they can't lay. We had a day where something happened to their waterer at a point and they couldn't get to the water for a few hours and they didn't lay that day at all. The first time I cleaned their pen after they started they stopped for days, the day we rearranged the coop to add more perches... No eggs for a day or 2... Stress doesn't get them anywhere with laying that's for sure

oh she will be likely much less stressed once they're old enough to be out with her, I would separate her from the rooster until then if you want eggs, she's likely stressed being alone accept for a bird that's very affectionate.. ... Is he the same breed or is he just her protector/ company? Is the goal breeding them? We have orps and rocks and they haven't started laying yet but they will this year. I find when my hens aren't happy they can't lay. We had a day where something happened to their waterer at a point and they couldn't get to the water for a few hours and they didn't lay that day at all. The first time I cleaned their pen after they started they stopped for days, the day we rearranged the coop to add more perches... No eggs for a day or 2... Stress doesn't get them anywhere with laying that's for sure

Besides from not laying how can you tell a hen is stressed ? Any strange behavior?
Yes, my goal is to breed them.
They are different breed my room is a Splash Old English, my hen is a wyandotte.

I would say as far as animals in general go they try not to show distress, if she's always been like this then Espescially would be hard to see any odd behavour, if she's just starting to lay and not overly pleased do watch that she doesn't end up with an actual issue, birds can become egg bound. Also some hens just don't lay much and its hard to say why. You'd think they'd all just hit an age and lay but birds are as different from eachother as people are.

Back
Top Bottom