Why hasn't my chicken laid any eggs ?

papileo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Los Angeles, California
My Wyandotte is always broody, our rooster is always mating with her constantly but throughout the span of almost a year since i bought both of them she has never produced a single egg?

Should i feed her something different in order for her to lay ?

Is it the rooster?

Is something wrong with my hen ?

what can be the problem?

She has only laid one egg but it wasn't fully formed. Is this something to worry about?

I hope she's not the only hen! Chickens don't lay when they are brooding. Mine actually laid more eggs when I gave them higher protein feed (18%) and added oyster shell.

My Wyandotte is always broody, our rooster is always mating with her constantly but throughout the span of almost a year since i bought both of them she has never produced a single egg?

Should i feed her something different in order for her to lay ?

Is it the rooster?

Is something wrong with my hen ?

what can be the problem?

She has only laid one egg but it wasn't fully formed. Is this something to worry about?
Stress...get rid of the rooster.
I wonder if she's really broody or just hiding from the rooster?
She may be ill and the rooster is trying to kill her....weak member of the flock can draw predators and so are eliminated.

I was using regular layer, 16% protein which is the minimum, but because my chickens free range all day and also get treats, I figured they werent' even getting 16%. So now I'm feeding Nutrena Feather Fixer with 18% protein and they are laying more. Some people use a flock feeder for more protein. Check the label on the bags to see what the protein is.

Aside from that, except for a few super layer breeds, many chickens take a break from laying when it's too hot, too cold, molting, shorter days, or being bothered by something. I don't know how many chickens you have but the rooster should have at least 5 hens. Maybe you could keep him penned for a few weeks and see if she acts different.

Last edited:
Stress...get rid of the rooster.
I wonder if she's really broody or just hiding from the rooster?
She may be ill and the rooster is trying to kill her....weak member of the flock can draw predators and so are eliminated.

Really ? because she sticks around him a lot and seems really healthy in my perspective. The again you guys know more than i do. She is really broody, because i tried the fake egg method and she would sit and sit.

Is it true that the change of color of the crest means my hen is ready to lay ?

Back
Top Bottom