Why hasn't my pullet got a tail?

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
So I've got two BO pullets, ones got a normal tail, but the other one hasn't.
She has got a few tail feathers, but they point down rather then up.
Will she stay like this? Or will it change after the moult?
Odd tail on the left and normal tail on the right.

Attachments

• 20220727_120554.jpg
    20220727_120554.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 41
So I've got two BO pullets, ones got a normal tail, but the other one hasn't.
Odd tail on the left and normal tail on the right.
So if they are going through moult right now , it is most likely the reason. Has she been like this her whole life?

Possibly known as wry tail, but pointing down instead of to the side and would be considered permanent, if so.

It's possible a couple of her feathers were plucked or broken from general flock antics and they may not come in until she does molt.. but there's no way to know for sure aside from wait and see.

It's (wry tail) considered a *possible* indicator of not great laying ability. Not good for breeding but perhaps fine for backyard production/pet purposes.

There are rumpless breeds.. like Araucana.. which can look similar though I highly doubt she somehow got that gene that causes it but maybe worth mentioning.

https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rump/BRKRumpless.html

https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Rumplessness.html

I have had at least one or two (out of a hundred+) that always held their tail down.. one was a cockerel that had trouble hatching and never grew the same as the others before harvest.. presumably a genetic deficiency.

As long as her behavior is normal (eating, drinking, foraging WITH mates), and when inspected her skin is light pink not angry red then I would not worry about it.

Hopefully you can update as she progresses!

Thanks!
Every thing else seems normal, and I don't think it's that other hens have been messing with it, as it's the whole tail that seems to be pointing down, so wry tail does sound about right.
I can certainly keep you updated.

I had something similar with a Salmon Faverolle hen when I was younger.
Salmon Faverolle Hens.jpg

The hen upfront appeared to be rumpless like that. She threw offspring with normal tails. I'm not 100% sure if she was rumpless or if it was an odd angle for a wry tail.
Did she have any of the bigger feathers that one find in tails?

Back
Top Bottom