Why havn't my eggs hatched????UPdate:They are hatching!!!!

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
I have eggs under a broody Silky. There are two silky eggs and 4 BR eggs under her. They were suppose to hatch on Tuesday. Today there are still no chicks.

We candled last Tuesday and they all looked like there was a chick in there. You could see nothing but the egg cell. Last year we used the same hen and candled the same way and all the eggs like that hatched.

It has been cold here lately, did it kill our chicks?? i thought our hen would keep them warm.

Should I give up and throw them or is there still a chance some could hatch. My DH put a heat lamp out in the entryway with her today. But I think its to late.

So sad was hoping for babies
sad.png

Update: They are hatching it has been 24 days. So the cold must make them take longer!!! One hatched so far one pipped!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the encouragment we quickly candled the two silky eggs and saw something move in the one. So we put them back under her real quickly! Oh I hope something hatches!!!!!

Melissa

Babies!!!! One of our barred rock/sexlink cross chicks hatched! and one of the silky eggs is pipped!!! I am soo eggcited! lol

Does anyone know if the way you sex BR is pertainable to this chick. She (hopefully) looks like a BR chick Black with the head spot. She has dark shading on her legs but her headspot is long and ragged. Oh I can't wait to get pictures later!!!

1BRKramerCross.jpg

Chick1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom