why I come out ahead

I can't wait to let my guineas be guineas. I just got them in June and need to section off a place in the coop for their private quarters, because I plan on putting mine to work in the garden/yard. If they do as well as I hope, I may decrease the RIRs and increase them, using them as meat birds and accepting the decrease in feed needs. As stated earlier, they pretty much feed themselves, and I just need to give them a little treat to keep them here. That is something I wish I knew about 20 years ago. Ya'll all read 'Gardening with Guineas' when ya'll get a chance.

Quote:
Rhonda how long does it take to grow? I am on the opposite end of the spectrum here as we get 10 months of yucky winter and more or less 2 months or summer (its longer than that but we really only get two months of good summer)
Also how thick do you plant it? is there any need for weeding? the hens probably wouldn't mind the odd weed but for some reason we have allot of burdock's on our lot
So many questions.
duc.gif
forgive me if you have already answered this, i just found this thread :S
what type of fencing do you have around your lot? is it all deer fencing or just on the top?

pattgal, go to www.hancockseed.com, scroll down and look for ryegrass on the left. Click on it for more info. I plant rye grass in September for winter pasture for my horses, just have to keep 'em off for 6-8 weeks. Winter rye saves on the winter feed/hay bill-I love the stuff. People around here even bale it in early spring for hay. It's great stuff.

This last spring and summer I traded a few chicks for plant starts, I'm not sure if I was breaking even or not, but I wanted a veggie garden, and had too many chicks...so that worked well for me.

I think we pretty much put to rest the myth that you can't come out ahead with our chickens projects. If I would know how to do all that cut and paste stuff, I could put this link the next time someone swears you will never come out ahead financially, but I haven't learned all that yet.
Someone like me.....who won't do something unless it will be worth my financial and physical investment, would shy away from something, if I were to learn it will actually cost more than just getting it at the store. But it is not the case here. Eggs and meat can cost less if you raise your own.

I agree! It always frustrates me when newbies ask if its expensive and they get all these replies that would daunt anyone who wanted to raise chickens. Its almost as if folks want to discourage people from even trying just because they didn't manage to do it without a loss. Some of us do it very frugally and our flocks are healthy, happy and make us money. There is no disputing that it can be done.

I got the same response when I wanted to get into honeybees. I got all the comments: Lots of start up money and then you can count on possibly losing them to disease and CCD, etc. I found it to be relatively cheap if done properly and time will tell if I lose my hive(s)....but I know this...there are many beeks out there doing it and their bees are surviving and thriving. It CAN be done if you look for the right info.

Same with sheep....all the old farmers said you don't want to do this, sheep are stupid, they are born and start looking for a way to die, etc. My experience with sheep has been vastly different than they described...possibly because I was judicious in choosing the right breed, used different husbandry methods than the accepted and learned from other's mistakes. My sheep are smart, healthy, birth easily and are a joy to have around...easiest livestock I've ever kept.

Quote:
Not to change the subject but
do you have any good websites on how to start a hive (low cost)? what are the benefits of having bees? We have tons here and rather than complain about it I'd rather make the best of it

Quote:
I know that someone on here started a thread on Beekeeping. Just try doing a "Beekeeping" search.

I believe it's in the other pets & livestock section!

Missi

Last edited:
I am really enjoying this thread. Mine do not pay for themselves and I would like them too. However most of it is my fault.

Question: Is shredded paper (recycled from the office) bad for the chickens? There are dyes in the paper and I am wondering if it could be harmful. The way chickens tend to peck everything

I did buy the expensive waterers. Two things I prefer now are the nipple waterers (homemade and pretty inexpensive) or the black rubber tubs that will last longer than me that I bought at the feed store.

Those tubs are easy to clean, whether frozen or just dirty. They are back up feeders for kitchen scraps or even pellets. I also use them for nestboxes on the free rangers. I have a bunch so the birds never run out of water. A big one for the geese and ducks to bathe in.
A few different sizes. The small are better for young birds and I don't recommend them for chicks under 8 weeks--some manage to drown.

I buy my feed in bulk, either 16 or 20 percent depending on the time of year. It costs 1/2 the price of what I would pay in the store if I buy a thousand pounds. A little work on my part, putting it all in water tight garbage cans (I prefer the metal) and lid locked with a bungee cord.

Keep the great ideas coming everyone!

Back
Top Bottom