1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why I should avoid the Feed Store... (Updated with pics!)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CarolinaGirl, May 9, 2008.

1. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    My neighbor has wanted chickens since seeing and hearing about my batch from Ideal I got back in February. Her partner, not so much.

However, she won the battle... This morning she called to let me know they had chicks at the FS and she was picking me up to look too. Uh-oh [​IMG]

I used great self control and only came home with 4... Which she paid for since I've supplied her with chick info and I'll be "chick-sitting" for her when she goes on vacation. I came home with a Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet, a White Cochin pullet, a Rhode Island Red pullet and a mystery bantam chick...

They told me it was a Buff Silkie but it doesn't have the extra toe like most silkies I've seen and well, she's black with a yellow chest. I'm not seeing that turning buff but I could be wrong. She does have feathered legs like my silkie chicks in the past. And if this helps at all, they're all from Meyer. The poor guy who owns the store couldn't tell a customer which yellow chicks were leg horns, buff orps and white cochins so there's really no telling what she is..

Anyway, I'm more into standards but the others were bullying the banty baby so I couldn't leave the lone banty in the middle of a bunch of biggies.

Tomorrow, I'll try to get better pictures of her alone and see if you guys have an idea...

After I came home and showed them to my grandparents, they wanted 3 Silver Lace... I went back with them and came home with 2 more. A White Leghorn and one more Buff Orpington (I have a 15 week Orp and she's so sweet) Both are supposed to be pullets.

Oh, and my neighbor is starting her flock with 2 RIRs, 2 Golden Phoenix, 2 Dominque, 2 White Leghorns and a Silver Laced Roo.

The sight that let me know I was in trouble [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My neighbors chicks and 3 of my 4 littles. Had to hold my SLW on the way home because she was identical to the neighbor's roo baby...
    [​IMG]

White Cochin and White Leghorn.
    [​IMG]

My sweeties. I'm also raising my grandparents' 3 SLWs for now. The mystery bantam is the black and yellow biddie second from left in the front. Excuse the rabbit feeder, it was a temporary fix until I could get to TSC to get a proper feeder for them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Oh how I love trips to the feed store.

I may go tomorrow, post pics soon please?

3. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Texas star, let me know if they have chicks since my flock of teens have gone to chickie heaven!

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I feel you. Everytime we go to the feed store we come home with more babies too.

5. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    I feel your pain...[​IMG] Last time I went to the feed store, I came home with 8 more chicks and 1 duckling....It's so hard, because I absolutely HAVE to go to buy food. What ever will we do?? [​IMG]

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

lol dont be ashamed about using a rabbit feeder, it looks like it works well! That's actually a good idea!

And they are adorable!

7. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Those trips to the feed stores during chick season are fraught with danger! But you did well, I think! [​IMG]

Terrific photos, congratulations on the new fuzzballs! [​IMG]

8. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Very Cute!!
    You are correct about your bantum. If it was a silkie, it would have the extra toe and some feathering on the legs. Also you will not get a buff silkie from a black and white chick. It will be cute not matter what it is though!

Gotta love the FS at spring time!!![​IMG]

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Maybe a Brahma, if it's got feathered feets...

Leghorns-skinny looking body
    Buff Cochin-Thick body, feathered feets
    Orp-thick body, clean legs.

10. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I have been having a really bad day and I need to go to the feed store. I have been avoiding the feed store, because I am trying to finish the outside run before I buy anymore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by