Why I should avoid the Feed Store... (Updated with pics!)

CarolinaGirl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
My neighbor has wanted chickens since seeing and hearing about my batch from Ideal I got back in February. Her partner, not so much.

However, she won the battle... This morning she called to let me know they had chicks at the FS and she was picking me up to look too. Uh-oh
tongue.png

I used great self control and only came home with 4... Which she paid for since I've supplied her with chick info and I'll be "chick-sitting" for her when she goes on vacation. I came home with a Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet, a White Cochin pullet, a Rhode Island Red pullet and a mystery bantam chick...

They told me it was a Buff Silkie but it doesn't have the extra toe like most silkies I've seen and well, she's black with a yellow chest. I'm not seeing that turning buff but I could be wrong. She does have feathered legs like my silkie chicks in the past. And if this helps at all, they're all from Meyer. The poor guy who owns the store couldn't tell a customer which yellow chicks were leg horns, buff orps and white cochins so there's really no telling what she is..

Anyway, I'm more into standards but the others were bullying the banty baby so I couldn't leave the lone banty in the middle of a bunch of biggies.

Tomorrow, I'll try to get better pictures of her alone and see if you guys have an idea...

After I came home and showed them to my grandparents, they wanted 3 Silver Lace... I went back with them and came home with 2 more. A White Leghorn and one more Buff Orpington (I have a 15 week Orp and she's so sweet) Both are supposed to be pullets.

Oh, and my neighbor is starting her flock with 2 RIRs, 2 Golden Phoenix, 2 Dominque, 2 White Leghorns and a Silver Laced Roo.

The sight that let me know I was in trouble
wink.png

2477061769_2bb77cd909.jpg

My neighbors chicks and 3 of my 4 littles. Had to hold my SLW on the way home because she was identical to the neighbor's roo baby...
2477877562_17d1397957.jpg

White Cochin and White Leghorn.
2477077567_8e874b00e5.jpg

My sweeties. I'm also raising my grandparents' 3 SLWs for now. The mystery bantam is the black and yellow biddie second from left in the front. Excuse the rabbit feeder, it was a temporary fix until I could get to TSC to get a proper feeder for them.
2477077557_c90b64da29.jpg

Last edited:
I feel your pain...
wink.png
Last time I went to the feed store, I came home with 8 more chicks and 1 duckling....It's so hard, because I absolutely HAVE to go to buy food. What ever will we do??
lol.png

Those trips to the feed stores during chick season are fraught with danger! But you did well, I think!
big_smile.png

Terrific photos, congratulations on the new fuzzballs!
smile.png

Very Cute!!
You are correct about your bantum. If it was a silkie, it would have the extra toe and some feathering on the legs. Also you will not get a buff silkie from a black and white chick. It will be cute not matter what it is though!

Gotta love the FS at spring time!!!
tongue.png

I have been having a really bad day and I need to go to the feed store. I have been avoiding the feed store, because I am trying to finish the outside run before I buy anymore!

Back
Top Bottom