Why is fermented feed getting moldy?

Actually that was very interesting, thanks!
smile.png

@pdirt thanks for clarification.

@chicknmania sounds like you started it off ok, just dont cover it with an airtight lid. Use something like cheesecloth or a towel to cover to allow for air exchange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but I grew up we raised chickens commerically it was a small operiaton around 13500 birds . Much later in life I worked in a large chicken feed mill . Every one in those buiness always took big steps to avoid moldy feed and products. I also hatched many ducks-which I feed and watered . Many days when I took care of them they would be out of water from them wasteing it -playing in it. When I watered them they would drink . Somethimes I see them fall down run around like they were drunk and sometimes die. My thinking was they ate feed after all their water was wasted ,it soured when they drank water the soured feed either made them drunk or killed them. One time I remmember when I was about 22 years old -I partyed some --one night I drank about a half gal. of whiskey went to bed later next day got up not filling great but any way I drank some water -had cotton mouth- was drunk again.------------------------------------- I have back yard chickens now don't know how many but I'm not feeding my chickens soured feed on purpose. To each their own. Some of my comments were funny to me but over all was trying to make a point . To each their own --good luck with your soured feed . Personally I think your nuts. BEST WISHES !!!!!!! Just trying to help.

Wow. No, they just explained that the fermented feed is not alcoholic, it's a different kind of fermentation. You really shouldn't call people nuts who are bringing good, PROVEN information to the table. You should look up the studies about what good effects fermented feed actually has. It's pretty amazing!

Wow. No, they just explained that the fermented feed is not alcoholic, it's a different kind of fermentation. You really shouldn't call people nuts who are bringing good, PROVEN information to the table. You should look up the studies about what good effects fermented feed actually has. It's pretty amazing!
I would like to see these studies, do you have links to them? Also were they done on chickens and at a lab/ collage?

I ask because I have yet seen one good study pertaining to poultry and feeding fermented feed. I think this is mainly do to poultry already fermenting there food within there digestive track.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19373724/

I would like to see these studies, do you have links to them? Also were they done on chickens and at a lab/ collage? 

I ask because I have yet seen one good study pertaining to poultry and feeding fermented feed. I think this is mainly do to poultry already fermenting there food within there digestive track. 

It's disappointing that it can cause later egg production and makes their feathers not quite as pretty in the study, but I haven't found them to have bad quality colors or feathers at all. My flock is almost to the egg laying age, so I can't attest to it causing late egg production, but I also started them on it younger than the study did with their flock. I have to say all the benefits outweigh the downsides to me. I've found a lot on the internet just googling fermented feed for chickens.

(For some reason it keeps putting the link to one of the articles at the top of this post!)

I live in Arkansas the second largest commersel broiler growing state in usa as far as I know. You can bet if it is cost affective and safe the big boys would have been doing it for years. they study every thing , to make more money faster , they produce billons of lbs of chicken a year. Where do you get your information?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19373724/
It's disappointing that it can cause later egg production and makes their feathers not quite as pretty in the study, but I haven't found them to have bad quality colors or feathers at all. My flock is almost to the egg laying age, so I can't attest to it causing late egg production, but I also started them on it younger than the study did with their flock. I have to say all the benefits outweigh the downsides to me. I've found a lot on the internet just googling fermented feed for chickens.

(For some reason it keeps putting the link to one of the articles at the top of this post!)
I wonder if they soaked the feed over night or did a full fermentation.
One of the reason this question came to mind is this, The study said that they used a 1:1.2 - 1:1.4 feed to water ratio.
Well lets round that to 1:1 ratio. That would be right around 1 pound of feed to a pint of water, or roughly 100 lbs of feed to 12.5 gallons of water.
That is way less water than I see/hear people using on here.

Last edited:
Would two cups of feed weigh 1lb? I'm not sure. But yeah, if that math is right, that doesn't seem like enough water. I definitely cover my feed by an inch or two and just keep adding water as it soaks up.

Would two cups of feed weigh 1lb? I'm not sure. But yeah, if that math is right, that doesn't seem like enough water. I definitely cover my feed by an inch or two and just keep adding water as it soaks up.
Depends on the feed.
Mash, Crumble, Pellet and Grains weigh differently and 1 cup up mash will weigh differently than say 1 cup of pellet just the same as 1 cup of corn weigh differently than 1 cup of oats.

Back
Top Bottom