Why is he acting this way?

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
question about a rooster....is it normal for a roo to separate itself from the flock and lay down all the time, not on his side, but like a hen?
I keep seeing one of mine doing this, he is healthy as far as I can tell, eating and crowing, but seems to stay away from the rest.
I do have 2 other roos, but there is no fighting or anything going on...any ideas?

He is 26 weeks tomorrow.

First, laying down -- long as healthy otherwise -- probably just dust bathing. Roos like this as much as hens. Mine, rude boy that he is, pushes the girls out of the craters they've dug & takes over them himself. He's probably just not dominant, knows his place, & may be biding his time before he challenges for top position!

How many hens do you have? Is there enough for three roos? I'd say it's fairly normal for the subordinate or beta roo to feel isolated or self-impose isolation (it keeps him from getting his butt whooped).

not dust bathing...just sitting down, he is roo #3, soon to be re-homed...I have 12 laying girls, 3 more at 16 weeks, so 2 roos is all I am going to keep, and will go down to one if anyone starts fighting...I guess he is just feeling outcast...

Quote:
I think you are right. I'll bet he'll feel much better in his new home, after an adjustment period. Every roo needs a harem of his own to love.

Back
Top Bottom