Why is it almost impossible to peel farm fresh boiled eggs?

HennysMom is correct - I do this all the time (now, since I saw that original thread LOL) and peel hundreds of quail eggs at a time. Works beautifully on all eggs, even fresh from the coop. Definitely boil for 18 minutes though - you'd be surprised. I boiled for less and my yolks (in the large chicken eggs) were still a little soft. I don't use ice though, just cold tap water and I keep changing it out until the eggs are cool.

Put plenty of salt in the water and don't forget to poke a pin hole in the large end.

Rufus

Quote:
Seriously, this is the ONLY method that really works and every single time. I have tried every other suggested method and it is just hit and miss. I have now used this one many many times and it has not failed me yet!!! It isn't just the ice bath (I have always done that) but the combination of that and putting them in when the water is already boiling. This also gives you perfect yellow yolks with NO green and they are even centered perfectly.

ETA...I could hold the chicken over the boiling water and squeeze til she lays her egg and it would still work perfectly. I have done it with eggs not an hour old.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm sorry, can't for the life of me remember who posted this tip on here, but I use my steamer to cook my fresh yard eggs and I've never had a problem peeling them. Works every time!

Quote:
Seriously, this is the ONLY method that really works and every single time. I have tried every other suggested method and it is just hit and miss. I have now used this one many many times and it has not failed me yet!!! It isn't just the ice bath (I have always done that) but the combination of that and putting them in when the water is already boiling. This also gives you perfect yellow yolks with NO green and they are even centered perfectly.

ETA...I could hold the chicken over the boiling water and squeeze til she lays her egg and it would still work perfectly. I have done it with eggs not an hour old.
smile.png

I STILL giggle every time I peel a fresh egg since reading this tip on how to do it...
tongue2.gif

How about you? LOL

Back
Top Bottom