Why is it bad for chickens to sleep in nesting boxes?

Typically chickens find the highest safe spot to park for the night. Even if you don’t move stuff around, give them another 2” on the front of those boxes to get their butts out of their own poo.

Appears they are roaring there because there is not enough roost to go around that is higher.

Letting them sleep where they are in contact with their own poo is a bad idea. I’d move nest boxes below roosting level, and figure out how to cram 7-8’ of roost in that tight of a spot. Your coop appears to be small for 7 birds.
I agree. I have had more roosting area, enough area, but they still didn't use it am sleep tin the nesting boxes. I will put up more roosting area again, and keep them out of there poop. Thank you all for the info, I now know the answer to my question and will address my situation. Sorry if I sounded like I was arguing!

I think, your chickens have have poop on their feathers in picture #3, walls, bedding and the door.
Have you noticed scabs and dark spots on their faces and combs?
Picture #3 shows they have Fowl Pox.
You need to clean everything out of your small coop, scrub it down and replace all the bedding and floor area and scrap all the poop off.
Rearrange the roosts so no one is pooping on the other. This way, your chickens can be healthier and happier.
Fowl pox! I haven't noticed. I will do this, thank you for all this info. I can get more pictures of combs tomorrow. I don't think they have fowl pox, but you would certainly know more then me. I could have totally over looked it. Thanks again!

I think, your chickens have have poop on their feathers in picture #3, walls, bedding and the door.
Have you noticed scabs and dark spots on their faces and combs?
Picture #3 shows they have Fowl Pox.
You need to clean everything out of your small coop, scrub it down and replace all the bedding and floor area and scrap all the poop off.
Rearrange the roosts so no one is pooping on the other. This way, your chickens can be healthier and happier.
What are you looking at? I don’t see any evidence of fowl pox.

Ohh, the easter egger, that is fluff! She had small fluffy feathers in her face! I have a better picture of it I can show you tomorrow! Glad what your seeing is not fowl pox! Twill get more roost space and see about a bigger coop. I have know that it is way to small since it was built, but though, I would try and make is work. Thanks

What are you looking at? I don’t see any evidence of fowl pox.
These dark areas on the comb. With one being a scab. You can also see where the chickens are pooping on the ones below.
They are sitting on the bedding.

Attachments

• 20200930_012400.jpg
    20200930_012400.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom