Why is it bad for chickens to sleep in nesting boxes?

These dark areas on the comb. With one being a scab. You can also see where the chickens are pooping on the ones below.
They are sitting on the bedding.
The EE you are looking at has fluffy feathers on her head. It is not a scab. The rooster has that mark because of an old injury, healing. I can assumer you none of those marks are unknown scabs. Dont mean to argue, just want to point it out. :)

Avery, it is very hard to make assessments from just pictures.
Sorry, I can get better ones when it isn't in flash, will have to be tomorrow though. I will clean up the coop, and get better roosting space. There is no poop on the chickens when I open them up in the morning. Thanks

From the pictures I was afraid that the lower girls might appear to be getting pooped on also but me knowing you from what I think how you would take care of your birds from getting to know you somewhat on here I would not think you would tolerate that situation for your babies. So I would not accuse you of that from A picture but it does look like it. I must say that you have some very well fed birds. They are living the good life. Do they free range? It is so hard to express all of our thoughts and opinions as well as we would like via text or type and when we are pushed for time or data. I know when I am tired and in a hurry or my WiFi is not cooperating it makes my communication skills go out the window. However, you are managing a lot of chickens in a small space which goes a long way on a space budget. Did you say the other day that you were juggling two or three jobs and had to manage your girls -chicks coop-openings and closing ups in between all these jobs? I’m not asking for personal info. So don’t think I am about your age or anything. It’s hard to manage members who are generationally different. Some young and then a group that are from a generation or flock quite a few years older can be challenging to deal with. Integration of the two and keeping all members happy takes work. I don’t think using your lower section as a sleeping roost is a bad idea. I’m going to really think on how we can help you redesign your coop to help you with your situation. I’m going to get my husbands thoughts on it. He’s the carpenter. I will get back to you ASAP.

Pam

Sorry, I can get better ones when it isn't in flash, will have to be tomorrow though. I will clean up the coop, and get better roosting space. There is no poop on the chickens when I open them up in the morning. Thanks
No my friend. I meant pictures are not always enough to make an assessment. It takes really being there and seeing.

From the pictures I was afraid that the lower girls might appear to be getting pooped on also but me knowing you from what I think how you would take care of your birds from getting to know you somewhat on here I would not think you would tolerate that situation for your babies. So I would not accuse you of that from A picture but it does look like it. I must say that you have some very well fed birds. They are living the good life. Do they free range? It is so hard to express all of our thoughts and opinions as well as we would like via text or type and when we are pushed for time or data. I know when I am tired and in a hurry or my WiFi is not cooperating it makes my communication skills go out the window. However, you are managing a lot of chickens in a small space which goes a long way on a space budget. Did you say the other day that you were juggling two or three jobs and had to manage your girls -chicks coop-openings and closing ups in between all these jobs? I’m not asking for personal info. So don’t think I am about your age or anything. It’s hard to manage members who are generationally different. Some young and then a group that are from a generation or flock quite a few years older can be challenging to deal with. Integration of the two and keeping all members happy takes work. I don’t think using your lower section as a sleeping roost is a bad idea. I’m going to really think on how we can help you redesign your coop to help you with your situation. I’m going to get my husbands thoughts on it. He’s the carpenter. I will get back to you ASAP.

Pam
Thank you so much of this! This si very helpful to me and exactly the info I needed! Thanks again! My birds have a large run and I let them surprise free range because of predators. They get out almost everyday though! Thanks again and luckily, I am young, under 18, I know I am not supposed to say that, but whatever! So I am not juggling 2-3 jobs, other then chicken keeping, and school work! I would love the ideas for a new coop design, and my dad is a huge builder to so can help in the building of a new coop! He has built pull barns so he is perfectly capable of building one, as long as I have a drawing! I am super appreciative of you support, and ideas! This has been so helpful, and tell me if you need more pictures, or information! Thanks so so so much, @thepick4uchicks ! Avery

Back
Top Bottom