Why is it...?

Here's something I've wondered about.

Why is it that that one particular bird that you're most fond of is the one that gets hurt or sick or taken out by a predator?
Always. It's always the favorites that get taken first. When we used to have barn cats, I'd name one or two that I liked. They were always the ones that would get run over, taken by coyotes, or whatever.

Chickens are the same. I just don't name them anymore. I try not to make pets of them, but it seems every year, there's one that makes a pet of herself. I had a BLRW that was the most regular broody ever. She's come up to me every day and follow me around. How could I help but pet her? She invited it! She didn't squat, just hung out with me while I did chores. She got eaten by a raccoon in the middle of the day. She was in the coop with her 5-week old babies at the time. They all survived. I have had others that did the same thing.

I had a broody last month, she was hit hard by the broody bug and her first time too, I don't ever think she will go broody again, being a Rhode Island cross. She is a small boss of a large flock and rules it with iron spurs, literally she has spurs. Once I broke her of the broodiness she went into a hard molt and looks so raggedy and I feel so bad for her, looks like someone peppered her with buck shot in the chest with all the missing feathers.

I had a broody last month, she was hit hard by the broody bug and her first time too, I don't ever think she will go broody again, being a Rhode Island cross. She is a small boss of a large flock and rules it with iron spurs, literally she has spurs. Once I broke her of the broodiness she went into a hard molt and looks so raggedy and I feel so bad for her, looks like someone peppered her with buck shot in the chest with all the missing feathers.
They can look pretty pathetic when they go into a hard molt like that. I have had chickens look like they've been almost completely plucked. Poor things! A naked chicken running around is a pretty sad sight.

Why is it.... that my pullets after 6wks.of laying eggs, their yolks are not as dark orange as they were the 1 st few weeks?

Diet. What are they eating now? What did they eat then? More grass, pumpkin or marigold extract?

May need to increase the FD&C #5 for darker colors. ;)

Back
Top Bottom