Why is it...?

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
That chickens choose to go broody when you really don't want a broody, don't need more chicks? I broke Nellie from her broodiness last month. She'd have made an awesome Mama. Now, I have a 6 month old PBR who is broody. So, she's gone on vacation in the tractor. She will get to spend her days there, and only go back to the coop after dark... with all nest boxes secure from her visitation. She's particularly tough. Last night I put her on roost at dusk, blocked boxes... only to check an hour later and find her hunkered down in front of the nest box blockade. Stubborn biddy.

Could have used a broody this spring. No one wanted to play that game then!

Why is it? Fill in the blank:____________________________________________________

That chickens choose to go broody when you really don't want a broody, don't need more chicks? I broke Nellie from her broodiness last month. She'd have made an awesome Mama. Now, I have a 6 month old PBR who is broody. So, she's gone on vacation in the tractor. She will get to spend her days there, and only go back to the coop after dark... with all nest boxes secure from her visitation. She's particularly tough. Last night I put her on roost at dusk, blocked boxes... only to check an hour later and find her hunkered down in front of the nest box blockade. Stubborn biddy.

Could have used a broody this spring. No one wanted to play that game then!

Why is it? Fill in the blank:____________________________________________________
It's because they are contrary beasts. I have a broody too; much too cold for her to set without worry. Plus I need to reduce chook numbers, not inflate.

Back
Top Bottom