Why is it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henhouse1224, Jun 17, 2008.

1. henhouse1224

henhouse1224 New Egg

Jun 6, 2008
    Hi all, new on the board.

Quick question..

I just got three 9 mo old hens all were said to be laying.
    The gold laced wyandotte is laying and has been since day 1. Even the day we moved her.
    I have one light Brahma that was worn out from a rooster, but she still has not started laying again after the move.
    I also have an araucana that also is not laying. I think the wyandotte is broody and she seems to be a little cranky but nothing over the top.
    We also have a 4 mo old roo, but he does not seem to be active with the girls yet.
    They were moved about 3 1\\2 weeks ago.

so now to my quick question part... [​IMG]

If the wyandotte is broody and cranky but laying, will that affect the other two and keep them from laying? Are there any suggestions on helping the other two along, or is it to soon after moving them to think they should be laying?

Thanks for reading.

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I've read similar post's here before and from what I can recall, the general advice was to just give them time. Good food, some oyster shell for added calcium and things will happen when they are meant to. The broody girl shouldn't be the reason for them not laying. My girls will just lay in the same box as the broody even when she is growling and all puffed up, it doesn't seem to intimidate them in the slightest.

Maybe try using the search button to look up some answers, there are lots of folks here that can help and I bet you will get some good answers soon. Good luck!

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Give them a little time. They get stressed, but I also read that a little Cheyenne pepper in food can kick start them. Do a search here first and see what to do about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by