Why is my chicken all fluffed up and making this noise?

ausername

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Nanaimo
I've attached a video of what I'm talking about...

She's been like this for two days. I'm not sure if she's laying because I have 6 chickens. She's eating and drinking fine. She's just all fluffed up and making that noise you can hear in the video. What is she doing?! She doesn't seem broody. At about the 55 second mark and on you can really see and hear what I'm talking about.

Help.

From what I can tell, she only appears to be annoyed at being followed around by you, and she sounds normal to me, nothing odd. Also, the only part of her that appeared fluffed out are the feathers towards her rear, which looks normal to me as well. Some girls are more fluffy in that department. I wasn't picking up anything out of the ordinary from the video. Do you know if she has laid eggs before? Is she a pullet? Could be that she is maturing and her personality is changing as well. All of your birds looked great. You know your birds better than anyone else though, and if she is acting differently then I'd keep an eye on her.

I don't think my video did it justice. The one is fluffed up much larger than the others and larger than she normally is, even without me following them around. They were annoyed with me following them! Anyway, I'll keep and eye on her. As far as I can tell, they've all been laying for about 4 or 5 months.

I think she is fluffier than the rest because she is a buff orpington -- she looks exactly like my orpington and that is a breed characteristic. She sounds just like mine as well - I think she is totally normal! good news.

I agree with the previous posters. She looks and sounds completely normal to me. I have orpingtons too and her fluffy butt looks exactly like my girls. Her chattering sounds completely normal too. Some chickens are more chatty than others. If you're worried about her just keep your eye on her for any changes in eating, drinking and behavior.

One of my hens are doing the same thing. I think their having a hard time passing an egg and or being broody. I caught mine laying on a pile of eggs and now she keeps hiding out in the nesting box. I notice them making a weird noise that they usually don,t do but maybe it was a hawk in the trees

Back
Top Bottom