Why is my chicken crouching when i come?

Birds need to go to you on their own terms, in their own time. If you grab them, they will try to run away. But if you sit quietly with some treats (like mealworms), they will come to you. When they realize that you will not hurt them or grab them, they will eventually come closer and closer.

Mine sit on my lap and sleep while I pet them. Sometimes, they stay for a minute, sometimes for 40 minutes. But I can't make them come to me. They have to want to come on their own.

They will learn if you move slowly, are gentle, and carry good treats!
I be closer to my chickens (one chicken do not run away) but some two or one chicken getting away from me. However, i just pick up them always then take down them always, why do not chickens get that friendly? I do this all day so they could think i am friendly...

We once trained a flock to do that when we said 'Squat'. Made catching the young ones easier.

Noooooo cats! By the way, did you tamed them if they don't run from you? Plus if i am rooster, then how could they think i would eat them?
The way that humans are larger intimidates them. That's why sitting near them is a great way to tame them. Just hang out with them, read a book, work on something quietly, or just enjoy nature! I don't think they think of me as a rooster, but more of a dominant leader. My last chicks imprinted om me because I spent so much time with them. Then as they reached laying age they started squatting, and now about 7/11 of them like being pet. none of them really like being held, except for my disabled Light Brahma who loves to sit in people's laps. She'll come up to me and headbutt my legs until I sit down so she can snuggle. It might be harder to get them to stop running if you didn't hand raise them from chicks, but it's not impossible. You can start by sitting near them with treats. Good luck!

@DLHOCNT has a point. Do not try to pick them up. I raised mine from chicks, they imprinted on me, and will run after me when I walk through the yard. They put up with my picking them up, but they don't like it. So I only pick them up to help them, such as if they are stuck somewhere high, and aren't sure about how to get down. They flew into the snow a couple times this winter, and were obviously unhappy, but unwilling to move through it, so I picked them up to move them.

Sit quietly. Bring treats. Move slowly, be gentle, speak softly. Sit for a LONG time. Sometimes, it takes them a half hour to finish their scratching and come over to be petted. Sometimes, they run right over. You can't force them to learn you mean no harm -- they need to learn that at their own speed. And they will, if you are consistently slow, gentle, and quiet. And bring treats.

This picture is from fall, but she still comes over to sit on my lap and be petted.

1021201401a_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom