Why is my chicken crouching when i come?

Pics
I haven't really read through, but to answer what seems to be the main points here:
Chickens, mainly hens, will squat 'crouch', as they reach sexual maturity. They do the same thing for a rooster to mate them. For me, it just makes them easier to pick up.
Not all chickens will be friendly.
If they are socialized as much as possible from a young age, they'll be much likely to be more friendly towards humans, as well as easier to handle. If chickens aren't well socialized, they will be skittish and hard to interact with. If you have skittish chickens, they can be socialized with time and patience. When I got my girls (as adults) they were terrified of every move I made. Yesterday, I had to give one a bath and was able to do so with no trouble. However, some hens (e.g. my Tillie, a white leghorn) just don't like being handled, and it isn't really fair to force it.

True, it seems they save their cecal poop (aka EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA) JUST for when they sit on my lap.

bahah, mine have dirty feet and icky feathers. I don't really care for them up in my lap. I noticed after Nel had already hopped up on me and made herself comfortable, she had poop smeared all down her back.. Blegh..

I haven't really read through, but to answer what seems to be the main points here:
Chickens, mainly hens, will squat 'crouch', as they reach sexual maturity. They do the same thing for a rooster to mate them. For me, it just makes them easier to pick up.
Not all chickens will be friendly.
If they are socialized as much as possible from a young age, they'll be much likely to be more friendly towards humans, as well as easier to handle. If chickens aren't well socialized, they will be skittish and hard to interact with. If you have skittish chickens, they can be socialized with time and patience. When I got my girls (as adults) they were terrified of every move I made. Yesterday, I had to give one a bath and was able to do so with no trouble. However, some hens (e.g. my Tillie, a white leghorn) just don't like being handled, and it isn't really fair to force it.
Can i somehow tame the not socialized chickens (including what you everything mentioned like "they will be skittish and hard to interact with")?

If you want an animal that is guaranteed to love you, a well bred dog of a friendly breed would be a better choice than a chicken.
Nooooo dogs! But thanks for the proposal! Are you
Screenshot_17.png
sure about that?

Back
Top Bottom