Why is my chicken eating dog fur?

thecarmiearmy

Songster
Sep 17, 2019
Nor. Cal
Two of my hens have recently taken up snacking on my husky's fur clumps laying around the yard. I imagine this could cause some impaction, so I've chased them off the one or two times they've snacked. The hens haven't done it since, but I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem before. What did you do to prevent it and is the fur bad for them? Thanks!

Not sure if the fur would hurt them or not but I'm guessing its the same reason they eat feathers... for the protein.

Are they molting?
What kind of feed are you feeding?

Not sure if the fur would hurt them or not but I'm guessing its the same reason they eat feathers... for the protein.

Are they molting?
What kind of feed are you feeding?
It's possible! My guess is they were testing if the fur was food or not lol!
They're not molting rn and they eat Layena Crumbles, along with a variety of fruits, veggies, seed and oats, etc.

Yea, chickens eat about anything. If they continue to eat fur, I would cut out the snacks since that is lowering the protein they are getting. Layena is 16% protein and as I understand that is about the minimum without snacks interfering.

You may also consider using Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shells. It is 20% protein. That gives you a little more wiggle room on the snacks.

Yea, chickens eat about anything. If they continue to eat fur, I would cut out the snacks since that is lowering the protein they are getting. Layena is 16% protein and as I understand that is about the minimum without snacks interfering.

You may also consider using Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shells. It is 20% protein. That gives you a little more wiggle room on the snacks.
Thankfully they stopped after the second try, but I'm keeping an eye on them, LOL.

Thanks for the rip! I'll have to check it out next time they run out of feed. I've seen it before where I buy the crumbles!

It is $1 more per bag for the flock raiser where I am. Of course there is an extra expense of buying the oyster shells. I bought a 50 lb bag last year for $11 and still have over half of it left with 6 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom