Why is my chicken not flying on my lap

Marshmallow1234

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
Canada
Does anyone know how to get my chicken to fly on me and sit on me and want me to pet them.. because my chicken don’t rlly run away from me and she loves to sit on me and won’t get down unless I put her down. But I try and train her to come up on me instead of me getting her and I saw other ppl chickens do that why won’t mine :(

It takes months of training, patience and treats. I wouldn't train them the ride on your shoulder, if they want a ride and you're not ready, they could take out an eye.
Do you only have on chicken?

I trained my girl to jump on my arm! I took lots of treats and weeks too perfect it, but now she loves to jump onto my arm and sit down to cuddle! I recommend using crickets to train with. They are big enough to put in your pocket and a chicken mouth full. I started by setting her on my arm and giving her a treat. Eventually she corresponded arm to treat and she knew that if she jumped on my arm she would get a treat! Good luck!

Treats are your best friend on this. They'll do just about anything for treats!

I did have a bantam hen named Libby who would fly from the ground to my shoulder while I was standing without any training. Why? Sometimes while my bantams where free-ranging, I'd let some of my younger siblings try to catch them. Most of my bantams would run and hide, but Libby, would run to me. After them chasing her around me a couple of times, she'd fly to my shoulder. Then she'd be out of their reach. I turned out to be her "hiding spot." She saw me as a refuge from my siblings.

Try using treats as encouragement for her to come up. Also, I've noticed with my own hens if I pat my legs, or any surface, they'll hop right up! Once they're on you, or wherever you want them to go, give them some treats! (Mealworms are a favorite!)
I tried that they flew on me but then just jumped off :(

I trained my girl to jump on my arm! I took lots of treats and weeks too perfect it, but now she loves to jump onto my arm and sit down to cuddle! I recommend using crickets to train with. They are big enough to put in your pocket and a chicken mouth full. I started by setting her on my arm and giving her a treat. Eventually she corresponded arm to treat and she knew that if she jumped on my arm she would get a treat! Good luck!
Thanks! I’m getting mealworms tmrw

I have 3 but I want them to fly on my lap not my shoulder
I would have someone place them on your lap, then you say whatever you want the call to be (perhaps 'lap lap lap!') and give them a treat immediately after saying that. Keep giving them treats every 10 seconds that they stay on your lap. Mine love blueberries, so those would probably be my training tool. Then repeat every day. Eventually, try saying 'lap lap lap!" and they'll hopefully come up on their own, and stay longer.

Back
Top Bottom