Why is my Drake chasing off the female call duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bruensfarm, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Bruensfarm

Bruensfarm New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    We recently had a horrific event where our dog killed our two female call ducks which left the drake alone. I bought two mature female call ducks to keep him company and he has accepted one just fine but he chases the other female off. Why is this? I feel so sorry for the female as she follows them at a distance but is always an outsider. I've heard of this with multiple drakes in one flock but never the female. Should I get another female duck to add to the flock or wont that help?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You could add another female, and then swap the ducks around a bit. For example, let the drake be by himself (but next to the others) for a day or two, then two females and the drake and one female, for a day or two. Changing up things like that sometimes shifts the dynamic.

But it's all up to the ducks, really...

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have Calls...My Little Call Drake chases my little Call hen away if she comes close to my other Welsh cross Drake...Him and the other Drake were raised together and always side by side...My Welsh breeds all my Hens but the Call Drake has never bred a hen...
    I think your little guy is just protecting that first hen he chose..He will accept her in time..It looks sad to you but the other hen understands Duck dynamics better than we do....Just let them work it out...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by