Why is my female Broad Breasted White turkey trying to peck my Rare Recessive Slate Tom?

When we picked him up he was in a box and I put the box inside the run and let them see each other but he had been cooped up for 3 hours prior to being in my hands so he was ready to get out. So I let him out and the video is when I let him out. And he’s imported from Australia from Porter’s Rare Heritage Turkeys that’s about all I know.
With chickens, you keep new birds on inside a fence so everyone can see each other and get used to each other for a few weeks. I don't know if it works with turkeys but sudden introduction can sometimes get ugly.

With chickens, you keep new birds on inside a fence so everyone can see each other and get used to each other for a few weeks. I don't know if it works with turkeys but sudden introduction can sometimes get ugly.
What I did with mine, before moving him in permanently, was drop him off outside the coop fence, & let everyone see him. Did this like every other day.
20220909_174822.jpg

Let them duke it out, but if it goes on too long, go ahead and separate/block off an area so they can see, but can't touch.
Okay that was the plan if it continues. She’s super sweet the only time she has acted this exact same way was with a rooster we got rid of a couple weeks ago but she actually fought with him like jumped on him and with the new Tom she isn’t doing the jumping but pecking yes not as aggressive as she was with the rooster we had.

When we picked him up he was in a box and I put the box inside the run and let them see each other but he had been cooped up for 3 hours prior to being in my hands so he was ready to get out. So I let him out and the video is when I let him out. And he’s imported from Australia from Porter’s Rare Heritage Turkeys that’s about all I know.
You should have had him quarantined until you knew he was not bringing in a disease or pest with him.

One of the things you could have done during the quarantine was to provide a see but no touch method such as a fence to let them get acquainted.

They will go through a pecking order dispute until they settle who is top bird. Since he is a youngster, she will be head turkey for awhile until he feels confident that he can beat her. At that time will will go through another pecking order squabble.

You should have had him quarantined until you knew he was not bringing in a disease or pest with him.

One of the things you could have done during the quarantine was to provide a see but no touch method such as a fence to let them get acquainted.

They will go through a pecking order dispute until they settle who is top bird. Since he is a youngster, she will be head turkey for awhile until he feels confident that he can beat her. At that time will will go through another pecking order squabble.
Agreed and I figured they would do like chickens and go through a pecking order so I’m hoping tomorrow or the next day is better.

Agreed and I figured they would do like chickens and go through a pecking order so I’m hoping tomorrow or the next day is better.
With turkeys it can take longer.

Once upon a time I had a trio of BBBs. The larger hen was head of the pecking order from the start. Once the tom got mature enough to take over, he and that hen fought all day long for 3 days in a row until she finally gave in.

With turkeys it can take longer.

Once upon a time I had a trio of BBBs. The larger hen was head of the pecking order from the start. Once the tom got mature enough to take over, he and that hen fought all day long for 3 days in a row until she finally gave in.
Oh lord okay I will just keep and eye on them. Should I just let them duke it out regardless if she has ahold of him or try to separate them fighting?

Back
Top Bottom