Why is my hen picking and eating another hens feathers?

madelime

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2023
The black hen is older and at the top of the pecking order. Is she just trying to bully the brown hen out of her favorite coop? I’ve never seen this before. I don’t think the brown hen is feeling great but idk if that had anything to do with being pecked at.

Protein is one possible reason and bordem is another. Some just get this as habitual (I call it addicted in some bad cases), though it'll most likely start with one of those first two reasons, or as a learned behavior. I suggest dealing with this as early on as possible. If it's just her, separate her long enough to break the habit (month at least) before she teaches it to others. (Separating her may also reset the pecking order as well, which in some cases, that will be good.) Add more protein to your flock's diet (if possible) and give them more entertainment and/or space (adding leaves are great for entertaining, along with added perches! ).

What's their diet?
How many chickens do you have?
What do you mean the brown hen isn't feeling great? Could she be sick?
They eat flock raiser or layer crumbles as their main food, scratch grains and dried meal worms as treats, + fresh produce like bits of watermelon or squash. I have 24 chickens total and 5 coops so there is plenty of room for each chicken. The brown chicken had dry fowl pox and was isolated for two months until I was sure she was better. She returned to her flock like 3 weeks ago and has been acting normal until tonight. I think she’s not feeling well again because she went to bed really early and doesn’t let me pet or hold her normally but right now she’s cuddled up on my lap.

Protein is one possible reason and bordem is another. Some just get this as habitual (I call it addicted in some bad cases), though it'll most likely start with one of those first two reasons, or as a learned behavior. I suggest dealing with this as early on as possible. If it's just her, separate her long enough to break the habit (month at least) before she teaches it to others. (Separating her may also reset the pecking order as well, which in some cases, that will be good.) Add more protein to your flock's diet (if possible) and give them more entertainment and/or space (adding leaves are great for entertaining, along with added perches! ).
Thank you!

They eat flock raiser or layer crumbles as their main food, scratch grains and dried meal worms as treats, + fresh produce like bits of watermelon or squash. I have 24 chickens total and 5 coops so there is plenty of room for each chicken. The brown chicken had dry fowl pox and was isolated for two months until I was sure she was better. She returned to her flock like 3 weeks ago and has been acting normal until tonight. I think she’s not feeling well again because she went to bed really early and doesn’t let me pet or hold her normally but right now she’s cuddled up on my lap.
Diet sounds good. Don't feed too too many scratch grains and meal worms though.

Sounds like the brown one could be sick. Give her a look over and see if you can find anything wrong.

Diet sounds good. Don't feed too too many scratch grains and meal worms though.

Sounds like the brown one could be sick. Give her a look over and see if you can find anything wrong.
Thank you! I have her isolated in a little hospital coop for the night and I’ll see how she is tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom