why is my hen putting stuff on her back

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenmama109, Oct 20, 2017.

1. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    i seen my hen in the laying box she was about to get out she had just laid a egg she got out and started putting poop and dirt and feathers on her back what was she doing

thanks to all help and tips

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Common behavior observed while on the nest to lay.....the reasoning is something only the hens really know

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Free Ranging

Personally i think it's temporary insanity . I used to think maybe it was some kind of camouflage instict,but they do it after laying and getting up so why hide then right? So I'm going with laying an egg jiggles their brains a little bit. :)

Frazzemrat1 and RUNuts like this.
  4. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    Hahha I’ve only seen mine do that one time and that is it thanks

5. Birchclaw raced through the woods, trying to get back to guard.A calico she-cat lept out in front of him,"Spottedsplash,"He growled hostilely.

~

Spottedsplash bared her teeth wide,"Birchclaw...."Her eyes glinted in the dying sun."

TBC!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I believe it's an instinctive behavior that is a bit out of sequence. Some believe that the Jungle fowl would tuck bits of dried vegetation in her feathers to transport them back to her nest, where she would arrange them to add to her nesting material. Or it could simply be chicken camouflage! I find it amusing to watch a hen wandering around after she's laid an egg, tossing leaves and bits of hay over her shoulder.

Chickassan and MasAhora like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: