Why is my hens comb flopping over

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofthecrazy4, Jun 25, 2011.

1. momofthecrazy4

momofthecrazy4 New Egg

Apr 8, 2011
    I know that the healthier the hen the redder her comb but why are some of my hens combs flopping over instead of looking plump? I also have sneezing chickens could this be a reason?

2. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    it's hard to say without more info, but, i have some hens whose combs are floppy normally. i attribute it to them being hatchery (ie, poorly bred) stock. if their combs used to be upright and suddenly went floppy, or if they're pale, then it might be an indicator of a health issue, but it might be normal for them too. occasional sneezing is also normal, it's how they clear their nostrils of the dirt that gets in there when they're scratching around. constant sneezing, or sneezing with discharge or watery eyes or other "symptoms" would indicate a health concern.

3. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Several breeds of hens have combs that flop over naturally Leghorns, Minorcas, are a couple what breed do you have?

4. momofthecrazy4

momofthecrazy4 New Egg

Apr 8, 2011
    I have road island reds and black sexlinks I think that's what the black ones are called anyway
    Thanks for the help. I'm new to this and will take all the advise I can get. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by