Why is my Orpington sleeping too much?

Bellamoon

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
This is my first time raising chicks. My three month Orpington is sleeping too much, she sleeps next to her water dish and in my arms as I hold her. I heard they don't do well in the summer heat. Any advice would be helpful.

The coop is outside it's not in a barn. The temp gets near 108 in Texas. I have a breathable shade tarp that I have on one side of the fence. I have nine chickens in all, 2 Orpingtons's, 3 Leghorns, 2 Brama's which share the same coop. She isn't panting, she keeps her eyes closed. Whenever I give them a treat she will peck at some of it and then goes back to sleep. They are three month old

Last edited:
How is your hen today

What are you feeding them
Do the have access to fresh cool water
Do the have shade
How big is your coop/ run
Do they free range , could she have gotten into something
Is she being bullied

I also live in Texas and have Silkies Silkie mixes and a bantam brahma . It has been rough in the 100°f+ heat . I have a tarp over my runs roof and breathable shade cloth down one side . I use frozen 2 liter bottles to create cool place for them to lay . You may want to observe your chickens and make sure she isn't being bullied. I feed very little hen scratch or corn when it's hot and change the water in their waterers multiple times to try to keep out fresh water .
It's been pretty interesting going from chickens that can handle heat to fluffy floofs that struggle when it's hot .

Today she's been on my covered porch with the ceiling fan on and she is doing better. I've noticed that she's been having a hard time finding where to drink so, I will put my fingers in her water dish and splash a little so she can hear and guide her to drink the same with the pecking sound so far, she's been eating and drinking that way. Opie is getting spoiled. I had opened the cage and she flew to perch on my shoulder, she still sleeps but, today she's been more alert. My Dad is expanding the chicken run, they have to be fenced in.
How is your hen today

Do the have shade
Is she being bullied

I also live in Texas and have Silkies Silkie mixes and a bantam brahma . It has been rough in the 100°f+ heat . I have a tarp over my runs roof and breathable shade cloth down one side . I use frozen 2 liter bottles to create cool place for them to lay . You may want to observe your chickens and make sure she isn't being bullied. I feed very little hen scratch or corn when it's hot and change the water in their waterers multiple times to try to keep out fresh water .
It's been pretty interesting going from chickens that can handle heat to fluffy floofs that struggle when it's hot .

How is your hen today

Do the have shade
Is she being bullied

She has been on the covered porch today with the ceiling fan on. I've noticed that she's been having a hard time finding where her water dish is so, I would put my fingers in and make a splashing sound and guide her where to drink the same way with the pecking , she's eating and drinking a lot more today with my help, she is more alert but, still sleeps. I opened her cage and she flew out to perch on my shoulder. I think she's getting spoiled. I just put her in the chicken run and she's drinking on her own, eating more her usual self.

Today she's been on my covered porch with the ceiling fan on and she is doing better. I've noticed that she's been having a hard time finding where to drink so, I will put my fingers in her water dish and splash a little so she can hear and guide her to drink the same with the pecking sound so far, she's been eating and drinking that way. Opie is getting spoiled. I had opened the cage and she flew to perch on my shoulder, she still sleeps but, today she's been more alert. My Dad is expanding the chicken run, they have to be fenced in.

She has been on the covered porch today with the ceiling fan on. I've noticed that she's been having a hard time finding where her water dish is so, I would put my fingers in and make a splashing sound and guide her where to drink the same way with the pecking , she's eating and drinking a lot more today with my help, she is more alert but, still sleeps. I opened her cage and she flew out to perch on my shoulder. I think she's getting spoiled. I just put her in the chicken run and she's drinking on her own, eating more her usual self.
Might have just been heat exhaustion. my silkies aren't extremely active in this heat . I am still learning about "cool" weather breeds . I always had chickens that were recommended for hot arid climates , like Old English Game or Sumatras

Might have just been heat exhaustion. my silkies aren't extremely active in this heat . I am still le
Might have just been heat exhaustion. my silkies aren't extremely active in this heat . I am still learning about "cool" weather breeds . I always had chickens that were recommended for hot arid climates , like Old English Game or Sumatras

My Orpington is in the house, she can't stay outside. I got under the ac vent and turned her with her back in my palm and held her head with my fingers she loved it, she fell asleep like that. I'm sure she gets hot underneath there.

I think my chicken is blind. I put her in her wadding pool dish she couldn't figure out how to step out of it. I have to guide her head to the water I took her to the chicken yard, fed the other chickens and put her next to a brahma so, she could hear the scratching sound, Opie did fairly well. This is going to be an on going thing.

I'm sorry your chicken is having trouble . She can probably adjust or you could have a house chicken . We had a house chicken up until she passed a few years ago

Back
Top Bottom