Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickenkeepr, Sep 14, 2015.

1. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Sorry, we had to go out.

Yes, ours sounds something like that, except that it's not coming in spells like you describe. Yours almost sounds like it has hiccups, where ours now has a quack that sounds like that, high-pitched, almost like she's hoarse.

2. Chickenkeepr

Chickenkeepr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Watertown, NY
    [​IMG] sure is :)

3. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Well, mine has gotten considerably worse over the past hour, so she's going to the vet tomorrow. I already have an urgent call in to our vet, and we're going to take her to the hospital if he can't see her tomorrow. I really hope yours is doing better.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

@casportpony I was reading on one of your posts about the Tylan injectable giving a not so nice place on the injection site [don't remember what you called it] so you don't rec she give injection of Tylan right?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think they call it injection site necrosis. Seems that several of the cattle medications can cause this. I think I mentioned it before, but the one time I gave it by injection it happened and it caused permanent muscle damage.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

So giving the Tylan by mouth[in water] is the best way justr like she has been doing?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Note that the amount I suggested is much higher than is usually recommended by follks on BYC, but all veterinary and mfg literature I have seen recommend large doses.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Regarding the worming... What wormer was it? How much did you give? How did you give it? How many days did you give it? Gapeworms might cause sneezing fits, but gapeworms are rare in chickens (only seen it once) and I've never seen it in ducks, but I think there are a couple of people in the duck forum that have seen it. If she were mine I would want to rule out all worms and coccidiosis since either of those could compromise her immune system.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How is she worse?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by